Sign in to follow this  

Flaming jobsworths! Have we lost our common sense?

One of the biggest problems leading to the ‘compensation culture’ has been the growth of the ‘no win no fee’ firms that have sprung up over the last decade or so. Our telly screens are constantly inundated with their ambulance chasing adverts.

I read recently, can’t remember where now, that the government was making a move towards outlawing this kind of practice and making the appellant pay up front fees before any action could be instigated. This would put off a lot of the petty rubbish that is currently pursued through the courts.

However, on the subject of Health & Safety, we’re stuck with it I’m afraid. The simple fact is that it’s become a multi-million pound industry in itself. Brussels turns out between 15,000 and 18,000 directives, regulations and resolutions per annum covering the whole of Europe. Now most of the member states particularly France, Italy and Spain just can’t be bothered with them and conveniently ignore them. His Tonyness of course just has to do as he’s told and take them all on board but of course the Health & Safety Executive plus legions of independent consultant firms that accompany it, have created thousand of jobs. We can’t produce steel, build ships or mine coal anymore but then we probably wouldn’t be allowed to because somebody would decide that it might be a tad dangerous! Never mind, we might have lost all those industries but I bet we lead the world now in overpaid, interfering ‘jobsworths’ that can close a whole factory down with the well aimed stroke of a Bic biro.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by kirky

any idea on the babys bottle thing?

just a thought, but if the liquid is heated up too hot, and it burns the baby or mother, then they could sue you. we always warm it up in hot water, ask the parent to test it, and if not hot enough, do it again, until the parent is satisfied.

it's they same kind of thing with hot drinks on the train. the drink must always be carried in a paper bag, so that it can't be spilt into someones face if the person stumbles. Stops any claims for compo.

Originally posted by vjpearson

I heard on Radio 2 ages ago that... when it snows, and you put grit on your path, if someone falls over on your path they can sue you, because you put the grit down, HOWEVER, if you do nothing and they fall over anyway.. thats their fault.

Now doesn't that make sense:suspect:

In Canada here it's exactly the opposite. If someone slips on either your front path, or the sidewalk infront of your house because you haven't cleared the snow/ice, you are liable under some whacky bylaw. I'd imagine you could get sued if they slipped on the grit too, so you can't win either way!

Couldn't freaking beleive it when I moved over here and my wife told me this.

Mind you, this is the city that tried to pass a bylaw that meant you could get fined if the grass on your lawn grew too long (and by too long I mean about 3 or 4 inches!)

Originally posted by Andy

No. No letting an assistant give change is nonsence, when she has a till full of change. There is no need to fill in no sale reports - that is just another petty rule made to inconvenience people. Let's face it, she's in the till every time she serves someone, if she wanted to nick cash she'd do it then. :loopy:

I work in Debenhams, and only supervisors have the authority to perform no sales. The till simply wont allow a sales assistant to gain access to the till drawer without putting a sale through first, the only way to override it is with a supervisors key.

This makes it impossible to change money, and as a rule we dont do it.

Originally posted by CorpG

I work in Debenhams, and only supervisors have the authority to perform no sales. The till simply wont allow a sales assistant to gain access to the till drawer without putting a sale through first, the only way to override it is with a supervisors key.

This makes it impossible to change money, and as a rule we dont do it.

Yeah, but you don't have trollies that cost a pound to use do you?

What is the logic in not giving you the facility to change money? What is it trying to achieve?

It's a silly little rule that can only exist to make somebody feel important. :rant:

I wonder at what point in the [near] future people in the U.K. will realise they're living in a sort of gigantic lunatic asylum ?

Be careful of those strait jackets !

Originally posted by kirky

any idea on the babys bottle thing?

If they feed the baby with the bottle/food without checking the temprature and it burns the baby's mouth they could complain / sue...

Having worked in catering for most of my adult life i can answer youre question about warming up a babys bottle or any food not cooked on the premises.It all stems from Enviromental health regulations.Put simply if an establishment warms up or reheats food either liquid or solid and doesnt heat it to the reqired temperature it COULD (and i use the term loosely)give rise to illness for the recipient.This is due to the fact that staff in cafes and resteraunts do not know where the food was originally prepard and therefor cannot vouch for its safety.So to reduce the risk of inflicting Salmonella,Stephlocockie and other food poisening bactieria they dont do it.That said if you present staff with a sealed unopened tin or jar of baby food they should have no problem heating it up as it is deemed to have originally been prepared in a sterile enviroment.Hope this in some way answers youre query.:smile:

If you ask for a dish of hot water to heat a bottle, but you heat it yourself, then they can't be sued if you poisen the baby, can they?

But they could no doubt be sued if you spill hot water onto yourself.

:loopy:

You know going back to the Morrisons thingy, maybe she just had no change!

In my job I have to have about ten pound a day in coin to use as change and I won't part with it for any reason at all other than for my customers who are paying me.

I was in a shop once and pulled out all the coin in my pocket to get at some twenty pence pieces. The lady behind the till who was obviously short of change asked if I would swap the coin for a note. When I politley said no and before I got to expaining why she took a full huff and slammed the till shut!

Ooohh just thought of a way to avoid the till thingy happening.

Go to the Bluebell Wood web site and see if they still have those key rings with the trolley token on them.

You will be doing your bit for a very worthy charity and saving the sanity of the staff at Morrisons

Bluebell Wood

ttfn

Originally posted by daverity

Never mind, we might have lost all those industries but I bet we lead the world now in overpaid, interfering ‘jobsworths’ that can close a whole factory down with the well aimed stroke of a Bic biro.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

And Bic's a French company to be boycotted too :thumbsup:

Originally posted by hj dary

You know going back to the Morrisons thingy, maybe she just had no change!

She did have change, I got change from her when I paid for my purchase. Anyway, the explanation given was "I am not allowed to change money at this counter" - not "I don't have any pound coins".

The point I am making is that the only reason this lady wanted change was for Morrisons' trolly, so she could do her shopping. She wasn't wanting it to go and spend in another shop, or to pay the bus driver or the milkman.

I don't need one of those key rings as I shop at Tesco where you don't have to put a pound in the trolly. But that's missing the point. The point being, someone somewhere has made a rule saying the tobacco counter can't give change, and the only purpose of this rule must be to make someone feel important.