Plastering/skimming?

Hi, I'm having a new kitchen fitted in 2 months, but it needs a bit of prep work first. The walls (where there is no tiling) have artex on them. Do these need to be plastered to get rid of the artex or is there any other way of getting rid of it?

Thanks

Hi, I'm having a new kitchen fitted in 2 months, but it needs a bit of prep work first. The walls (where there is no tiling) have artex on them. Do these need to be plastered to get rid of the artex or is there any other way of getting rid of it?

Thanks

Can be skimmed over or dot and dabbed with plastercoard and then skimmed-much depends on the size of your kitchen

Note to people using this thread to advertise your business:

If you have sent the OP a PM, there is no need to post here telling everyone else that you've sent them a PM.

Please don't use threads where someone asks for advise to tout for business.

Thank you.

yes you can try steaming it or if the artex is thick you can apply a backing plaster (bonding coat) then skim it I think boarding would not be necessary unless the original plaster has blow. I would be happy to come around and advise you for what best to do.

Note to people using this thread to advertise your business:

If you have sent the OP a PM, there is no need to post here telling everyone else that you've sent them a PM.

Please don't use threads where someone asks for advise to tout for business.

Thank you.

When I have pm people in the past my signature eg. my phone no web site dose not appear on the message so usually I add a small quote on the submit reply like Thanks pm sent so that the other person has all my details as I have had problems with the pm service.

Thanks

Some artex is easy to scrape off some isn't. If it is hard going get a steamer that you would use for taking wall paper off with and scrape it so it is as minimal as possible and then it will be ok to be skimmed over.

When I have pm people in the past my signature eg. my phone no web site dose not appear on the message so usually I add a small quote on the submit reply like Thanks pm sent so that the other person has all my details as I have had problems with the pm service.

When you write your PM, there is a tick box at the bottom of the box you type in which allows you to select whether your signature is shown.

Some artex is easy to scrape off some isn't. If it is hard going get a steamer that you would use for taking wall paper off with and scrape it so it is as minimal as possible and then it will be ok to be skimmed over.

Please please please do not tackle artex yourself, If the artex was in the property before 2000 then IT WILL contain asbestos, and you will have to have it removed professionally.

Please please please do not tackle artex yourself, If the artex was in the property before 2000 then IT WILL contain asbestos, and you will have to have it removed professionally.

Sorry being a plasterer and in the building trade for over 20 years !

Holder of a ccnsg national safty passport cscs card asbestos awareness certified ect .....

Edited by ging viking

You definitely need a re-skim for the best finish in your kitchen. You will regret not doing so afterwards if you try to scrape it off an use a filler.

Dont listen to alot of **** and bull , there is alot of top plasterers on hear , i used to do alot of work for fellow forum people , my advice would be go on reccomendation you get what you pay for and the best advice i see on hear is from .... Rudi Johns Renovations - 07709 352952 .... i hope you dont mind my interfirence but i just dont like bad advice and for what you will be paying for the kitchen and install the plastering works will be a small % of what you have paid out , if you do a job do it correct i know rudi has being doing work for forum members for along time and has excellent feedback .

Edited by RELIABLE