Possible ATM skimmer at Sheffield station

A lady was stood at 1 of the new natwest machines outside whsmiths at the station on Monday, She told me she had put her card in and everything and no money had come out. So it could be a fault within the machine.

I thought everyone covered pad up when putting in a pin number, the ATMs Iv'e always used have a sign telling you to do just that .

That might be the case but not everyone follows simple & sensible instructions.

This is what I do. I shield my hand and move it around alot, pressing my pin in at random! Fun times!

Now I know what people are getting up to when they spend 20mins messing around at the cash machine and I'm queuing behind them!

apparantly the nationwide bank on pinstone street has had a contraption attached to it on numerous occasions and they do not have cctv on their machine!!!!

Surely they are on camera if this happened inside the station. How do you attach a skimming device to a cash machine in a busy train station?

Easily. One guy fits the skimmer while a few of his mates form a queue so no one can get to the machine until he's finished.

I used the cashpoints in the station this morning. They arent link but free to withdraw cash. I put my card in the left machine and it said no cash withdrawls available.Then i put my card in right machine and it allowed me cash.

These machines are next to the toilets. are these the ones you mean?

Mr Strix. Could you be more elaborate as to what has made you suspicious? Got me paranoid now lol. keep checking my bank account online.

Edited by Event Horizo

apparantly the nationwide bank on pinstone street has had a contraption attached to it on numerous occasions and they do not have cctv on their machine!!!!

The Nationwide isn't on Pinstone St.

I used the cashpoints in the station this morning. They arent link but free to withdraw cash. I put my card in the left machine and it said no cash withdrawls available.Then i put my card in right machine and it allowed me cash.

These machines are next to the toilets. are these the ones you mean?

Mr Strix. Could you be more elaborate as to what has made you suspicious? Got me paranoid now lol. keep checking my bank account online.

Pretty much this - with no message on the screen to explain, which is the suspicious part:

A lady was stood at 1 of the new natwest machines outside whsmiths at the station on Monday, She told me she had put her card in and everything and no money had come out. So it could be a fault within the machine.

I think it was the machines next to the toilets as the others are Lloyds and Natwest IIRC (second hand info here, as I'm not Mr Strix )

This evening Mr Strix came home a little miffed at not being able to take money out of the Link Machine at Sheffield station, and having described what happened, I suspect it's skimming card details

He's contacted his bank and they quizzed him about it before agreeing the best course of action is to assume it is and take the usual precautions (new card etc)

The police have notified BT police

If you've used the station ATMs this eve, it may be best to contact your bank if your transaction didn't go as expected

That machine has not been working properly for at least a week as I was in a queue for it last week and the person infront said it hadn't dispensed their cash and when i went down on wednesday someone had put a paper note on saying it wasn't working properly

Pretty much this - with no message on the screen to explain, which is the suspicious part:

I think it was the machines next to the toilets as the others are Lloyds and Natwest IIRC (second hand info here, as I'm not Mr Strix )

That machine has not been working properly for at least a week as I was in a queue for it last week and the person infront said it hadn't dispensed their cash and when i went down on wednesday someone had put a paper note on saying it wasn't working properly

Starting to sound like what happened to me years ago. The machine never gave me my money and i didn't quite catch the on screen message but the roll inside the machine said it did indeed give me my money. That cost me a weeks wages.

Starting to sound like what happened to me years ago. The machine never gave me my money and i didn't quite catch the on screen message but the roll inside the machine said it did indeed give me my money. That cost me a weeks wages.

You should have taken it further. TSB tried that with me. I said they'd effectively stolen my money and threatened to go to the Police. I'd drawn out the maximum £200.

They refunded it and credited me £20 for the hassle

Edit:- oh, and the machines weren't working today

The scam currently doing the rounds involves the thief fitting a fake 'flap' to the ATM, over the slot where your money comes out. Their device captures your money, you think the machine is not working and wander off, the thief retrieves your money from their device.

I have not seen one of these, but I have previously seen card skimming devices which can be made to look like part of the ATM. The ones I have seen are made out of the same type and colour of plastic as the ATM, and even though I spent several years looking after a bunch of ATMs, I probably wouldn't have noticed the skimmer if I hadn't been paying attention.