Need a competent builder to remove a concrete lintel and fit rsj

Ok. Im doing a refurb on my house and this is too big of a job (manpower wise) for me to tackle. I also dont have enough acro props!

Basically, there is a concrete lintel (double thickness) above my kitchen window. and a smaller one above my back door (also in the kitchen wall about a course of bricks from the window)

I want to swap the back door and kitchen window around, which will mean that I gain an extra corner in the kitchen and make a much better layout for a kitchen I am putting in.

BUT it will need two 8x4' RSJs to replace the length of the two large concrete ones, and also another concrete lintel that comes into the walll from the side will need supporting.

I need a competent,reliable, proven builder who can tackle this job, the sooner the better as it needs doing asap. References will be needed and you must be confident in getting the old concrete lintel(s) out and the new steels in with no damage to the property.

I can take care of bricking up and refitting the door and window if required, so basically I am just looking for the structural work.

You will need a good few acro props and strong boys..!! and some manpower. I have a skip to dispose of the old lintels in.

Thanks

call richard davies on 07810008700 im his labourer and he is a very confident builder and does great quality work when you call him just say that dave recommended him and he will quote you a price.

Ok. Im doing a refurb on my house and this is too big of a job (manpower wise) for me to tackle. I also dont have enough acro props!

Basically, there is a concrete lintel (double thickness) above my kitchen window. and a smaller one above my back door (also in the kitchen wall about a course of bricks from the window)

I want to swap the back door and kitchen window around, which will mean that I gain an extra corner in the kitchen and make a much better layout for a kitchen I am putting in.

BUT it will need two 8x4' RSJs to replace the length of the two large concrete ones, and also another concrete lintel that comes into the walll from the side will need supporting.

I need a competent,reliable, proven builder who can tackle this job, the sooner the better as it needs doing asap. References will be needed and you must be confident in getting the old concrete lintel(s) out and the new steels in with no damage to the property.

I can take care of bricking up and refitting the door and window if required, so basically I am just looking for the structural work.

You will need a good few acro props and strong boys..!! and some manpower. I have a skip to dispose of the old lintels in.

Thanks

Any competent, reliable and proven builder will know exactly what he wants without the prompting. As for the beams, this will be in the spec provided by the engineer that has done the drawings that you have submitted for BCO approval. Without this, no competent, reliable and proven builder would touch it with a barge pole.

P.S.

And as one leaf of the brickwork is external, I'm surprised that RSJ's have been specified at all.

P.S.

And as one leaf of the brickwork is external, I'm surprised that RSJ's have been specified at all.

Yes. You make some good points.

I was merely outlining what I 'think' will be needed. That doesnt mean its correct!

Like you say the specs wil dictate it but Im wanting to find the right man for the job before I shell out money for an engineer and BI.

An experienced builder could do this in his sleep and will advise me Im sure.

Try scott at urban construction and conservation on 07927 492850. Always provides an excellent service. :-)

Sorry if I sounded a bit sarky, but if you don't do it the right way first time, it can be an expensive business, especially when owners come to want to sell and unpermitted work has been carried out. The regs are a minefield and even the trades sometimes have all on keeping up with the changes. Although it sounds a relatively straight forward operation, as well as the obvious,there are regs that apply to the window, the door, the kitchen electrics even the plasterboards once you have the steel in place. Building inspectors are not ogres but are extremely helpful and when the job is done you have the satisfaction of knowing its all above board and you've hopefully increased the property's value rather than reducing it. Good luck with it all.....lets see some pics.:)