Advice for City Centre living

I'm in the city centre myself, things are fairly quite and seem safe. Before I moved here I was looking at areas like Devonshire Quarter and places like Fitzwilliam House, West One Plaza.

The last few weeks I have been looking at property to rent in sheffield and have come across quite a few I have liked that are apartments in the city centre.

The problem I have is that I often work at home, often into the evenings and want something where I'm not going to be able to hear someone in the next apartments television or music and so. I've never lived in the centre of a city before so not really sure what it is like.

Does anyone live in an apartment such as the ones at Riverside exchange that could tell me what its like, do you get a decent level of quiet with the windows shut?

Thanks

A tenant of mine, has friends who live in an apartment on West street. She says they have to use earplugs to be able to get some sleep. Also some of the residents are opposed to a bar extension from 2 am to 3 am. When estate agents describe these areas using words like `lifestyle` and `vibrant` they really mean `noisy`. But some seem to like it. My tenant thinks she has the better deal on Norfolk road.

I live in the apartments at Riverside Exchange and they are not too bad for noise levels. The ones I live in seem to be designed so that the living area is facing the outside of the building and not adjacent to anyone else's apartment so this reduces the potential for noise levels. Obviously you will hear some outside noise, especially if people are shouting, etc but I guess the same goes for most places.

Hope this helps

Thanks davi and Rachel

Q4, The Brewery Wharf developments and the Riverside exchange ones are so far the ones I like. Are their buildings in the Riverside exchange development which are known to be better than the others? The other thing I wonder about is floor level, does the noise get better the higher you are. My budget is up to £525 and I don't really know if that's enough to get something decent

in general anything that has been built after 2006 has to comply with stricter internal sound proofing. They have to pass a sound test. The down side to all these new builds is that they are electric heating, which is considerably more expensive than gas central heating.

Anyone who buys anything in a city centre must surely know the high likelihood of noise/parking problems.

Because of high travel cost's been considering a move into the city center to be closer to work and was wondering on best places to rent and worse and the pro's and con's.Theres a place on blonk street what seems to have lots of places to rent the one what looks like a big blue cone...so any city dwellers on here ?

not exactly city centre but we live in kelham island at cornish place. we have lived here for 4 years and its great.

lovely area over looking the river, we always see herons, bats etc

its very quiet and peaceful no noise or disturbance

2 mins walk to the tram stop and about £4 in a taxi to town

nice bars and restaurants near by plus 2 tescos within walking distance