Buses - Why so expensive?

You may not, but pretty much everyone else does.

One thing I hear more than pretty much anything else, is how the buses were so much better run in the old days. You could get into town and back for next to nothing, nobody had to worry about parking and the buses were always full.

Before de-regulation and privatisation, the buses were a thriving success in South Yorkshire.

John X

The council can't even get road signs right or respond to rail franchise consultation documents, do you really think they could run a complex bus network across the whole city and neighbouring towns?

everything is expensive so as to lower your standard of living! why? to control your easier!

I went along Wordsworth Avenue from Ecclesfield to the new Asda last Saturday at about 10.30 am - about 1 mile - and saw a total of 9 buses. There were so few people on these buses that I managed to count all but on one bus - a total of 13 people!!!! Oh, that's not counting 9 bus drivers. If you miss a bus on Wordsworth Avenue you can almost guarantee that you can see another one in the distance. That's how stupid the bus system is and that's why fares are so expensive. It would have been cheaper to pick those 13 people up in taxis and charge them the bus fare.

I went along Wordsworth Avenue from Ecclesfield to the new Asda last Saturday at about 10.30 am - about 1 mile - and saw a total of 9 buses. There were so few people on these buses that I managed to count all but on one bus - a total of 13 people!!!! Oh, that's not counting 9 bus drivers. If you miss a bus on Wordsworth Avenue you can almost guarantee that you can see another one in the distance. That's how stupid the bus system is and that's why fares are so expensive. It would have been cheaper to pick those 13 people up in taxis and charge them the bus fare.

Which is off peak. I bet during the rush hour the majority of those busses are filled and packed at one point or another

Daytime bus services are generally run by the operator on a commercial basis. If the operator wasn't making money on that service, it would run less frequently or not at all.

The fact that there may be few people on a bus on the short length of route you see, doesn't mean that people aren't using that bus elsewhere.

The fares are what they are, because the operator can charge what they like. Buses are not cheap to buy or operate, think £200k to buy a double decker and £100k a year to run it.

So, Ok. Why not terminate every other bus part way through the route. Say at the Ritz roundabout or even at Hillsborough if there aren't many passengers going the full route.

do you really think they could run a complex bus network across the whole city and neighbouring towns?

They did! :D

John X

I worked out that it costs me £160 in fuel to travel 1,000 miles by car. That doesn't include insurance of £65 per month or road tax or servicing and repairs. My estimate is £200 a month to run my car (not including depreciation). However, I need a car to work. How much does a monthly, "Ride on anything you like" pass cost?

Glad to say that from the age of 17/18 always had my own transport. Motorcycle, three wheeler then car, so it's getting on for 45 years since I used the Buses - thank God.

But I know the reason for the high fares - simple reason that they run for profit, not for the public's convenience.

Regards

Angel.

£4.30 for a day pass with First - only just cheaper than getting two singles.

Is it any wonder people go by car? The bus fare to town and back for two of us would buy enough diesel for us to drive to Manchester and back..

I considered this problem and came up with a solution that covers both environmental concerns and the cost issue.

I bought a 110cc Yamaha scooter. Runs forever on a gallon and causes almost no pollution when compared to a car or a bus.

I worked out that it costs me £160 in fuel to travel 1,000 miles by car. That doesn't include insurance of £65 per month or road tax or servicing and repairs. My estimate is £200 a month to run my car (not including depreciation). However, I need a car to work. How much does a monthly, "Ride on anything you like" pass cost?

£86.20 for a 28 day South Yorkshire Travelmaster, covers bus rail and tram.

Annual one is £948

£86.20 for a 28 day South Yorkshire Travelmaster, covers bus rail and tram.

Annual one is £948

How much can you insure the annual pass for?, one year in Sheffield and it's quite likely gonna be stolen at some point!