Buses - Why so expensive?

There is another way of looking at this, although it wont be a popular view.

Maybe buses aren't too expensive, maybe it is car travel that is too cheap?

Driven 20 years, and it has always been cheaper than public transport. Get free public transport now for medical issue.

It is only good if you go in or out of city centre. Privacy is good when you have relaxing music and a good book.

Would refuse to pay more for public transport and start driving with a condition that is dangerous for others and myself for current prices. It should be around 50% for single person vs use of car no matter what journey.

Have owned cars and used public transport in amsterdam, toronto, new york state, sheffield.

Sheffield is not bad but the prices are out of balance vs private vehicle.

Sheffield Council should be in Charge of our buses,But they let the First Group step in an Our bus fares have Treble in the last couple of years so we are paying for the Drivers wages an just laughing at us,as the attitude from some of the Drivers is not good at all,Stage Coach now the company putting pressure on the First Company,as how can First charge £17.50 for a Seven day saver an Stage Coach just £10,an something as got to be done to change the Money Grabbing First Bus Service Stealing our money,an how are they going to price Tickets you can you use on either First or Stage Coach coming soon,as First will really have to change its pricing plan an will not like lower prices

They didn't have a choice. Thatcher forced councils (except for London) to sell off the bus routes to pay for her rates cuts.

I wouldn't trust either Sheffield City Council or South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive to run the buses. All our bus companies are proffesional operators with managers who are experienced in the industry, however they are private businesses that have to make a profit.

Different bus companies have different levels of coverage and charge accordingly - a day and week ticket on First gets you access to a lot more routes than other operator specific tickets and they charge more because of this - that and the likes of Stagecoach and TM Travel intentially charge less to try and win business off First.

Here is a summary of daily and weekly tickets

FIRST

Sheffield FirstDay £4.30

South Yorkshire FirstDay £4.90

Sheffield FirstWeek £17.50

South Yorkshire FirstWeek £19.50

Promotional route specific Day ticket £3.00 (certain routes only)

Promotional route specific Weekly £9.00 (certain routes only)

STAGECOACH

Sheffield Bus Dayrider £3.20

Sheffield Bus & Tram Dayrider £3.70

Yorkshire & East Midlands Day Explorer £5.20

Sheffield Bus Weekly Megarider £10.50

Sheffield Bus & Tram Weekly Megarider £13.00

Sheffield & Chesterfield Weekly Megarider Plus £14.00

Yorkshire & East Midlands Weekly Megarider Gold £17.00

TM TRAVEL

South Yorkshire & Chesterfield Day YOYO £3.95

Network Day YOYO+ £5.80

South Yorkshire & Chesterfield Week YOYO £13.00

Network Week YOYO+ £15.80

OPTIO JOINT SERVICES (Stagecoach, First, TM Travel)

Orange: 42,44,49,50,50A,53,120,123

Red: 52

Day ticket £3

Weekly ticket £9

TRAVELMASTER - ALL BUS, TRAIN AND TRAM OPERATORS

Sheffield Citywide day £4.90

South Yorkshire Daytripper £6.00

South Yorkshire Day Travelmaster £7.20

Sheffield Travelmaster Week £21.60

South Yorkshire Travelmaster Week £23.90

First, Stagecoach and Travelmaster also do monthly and longer tickets too.

Edited by Andy C

Buses - Why so expensive?

A lot of business have this concept called profit. I'm not against a business making profit but when it runs into millions, that's a different story.

Why not make everyone pay 50p to use the bus?

That way everyone pays, the people who pay for fares now will see a huge drop in the cost of bus travel, and the ones who get it for free have to pay.

Apart from OAPs, everyone should pay.

That way it is fare for everyone.

Lastly, why do dogs have to pay to use the bus, when other animals don't? one passenger could take a dog on the bus and the dog owner pays, yet another person takes there rabbit on the bus, and the rabbit gets on for free.

Why not make all animals pay as 20p fare?

Thats way, its is fare for all pet owners, regardless of what there pet is

I wouldn't trust either Sheffield City Council or South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive to run the buses.

You may not, but pretty much everyone else does.

One thing I hear more than pretty much anything else, is how the buses were so much better run in the old days. You could get into town and back for next to nothing, nobody had to worry about parking and the buses were always full.

Before de-regulation and privatisation, the buses were a thriving success in South Yorkshire.

John X

Also you are paying all of the costs there and then. You can't compare it only to the cost of fuel, since that's only a part (half?) of the cost of running a car - purchase cost, insurance, tax, parking charges, repairs. I would be willing to bet that in many cases it would end up cheaper overall not to buy a car and to only use public transport. Imagine taking all of the money you spend on a car in a year and having that as your bus fund. You'd have plenty I think. But if you need a car even once per year then you end up having to buy one, and pay tax, insurance, etc. It's intensely annoying for people who want to save money and be more environmentally friendly, but need a car sometimes. In some other countries the car is insured, rather than the driver, which means that you can borrow a friend's car really easily if you just need it on occasion. I think if that was brought in in the UK then it would help many people to not have to own a car.

I live near J36 of the M1....my wife and two kids 18 and 21 wanted to go to our friends at Dodsworth at J37 of the M1 Barnsley...one junction up, about 3 motorway miles.

We thought we would take the bus instead but didn't bother after getting a quote

£2 x 4 people to Barnsley = £8 ..............then £2 x 4 people to Dodsworth = £8

Then return it's a frightful £32.00 on a Sunday afternoon to get from one motorway junction to the next...we took the car!

When I use the bus, rarely, I notice that many people, have free passes to use it, not just OAPs but I guess unemployed or asylum seekers.

You may not, but pretty much everyone else does.

One thing I hear more than pretty much anything else, is how the buses were so much better run in the old days. You could get into town and back for next to nothing, nobody had to worry about parking and the buses were always full.

Before de-regulation and privatisation, the buses were a thriving success in South Yorkshire.

John X

and also enjoyed a huge council subsidy