Recommend me a browser

Based on Acid scoring here Safari is the only alternative. It also has a nice clean interface - even on Windows. As much as you might not be bothered about features try the "Reader" feature on this for example and watch all the clutter fall away.

I've been using Safari on Windows since you posted this earlier. It certainly seems as fast as Firefox and the extension for blocking adverts seems to be working better than the most common Firefox one does. I like the spelling and grammar check as well. There are a couple of things that are doing my head in though.

1. The scrolling of web pages is awful. Even with an extension installed it is very jerky compared to Firefox.

2. There isn't anywhere near enough functionality on the tabs for my liking and none of the available extensions seem to cover what i want.

I've been using Safari on Windows...

It's not something I use very often - I being a Mac man who uses Safari and two other browsers on there - but I didn't notice the issues you mention the last time that I was in that world. I'll be taking an excursion there later today, though, in both XP and Vista - supporting a family member and a friend respectively - and I'll try out the latest version in those environments and then report back.

Chrome is the daddy. I used to be a Firefox man but since using Chrome I cant go back...

If you're after speed, but not interested in features or benefits, it sounds like Lynx is the browser for you.

Well i'm still using Safari a day on so it can't be too bad. I can't be 100% sure but it does feel a bit quicker than Firefox. It is certainly quicker than Firefox on news websites. I think that might be down to it having a better ad blocking system.

I like the way it handles bookmarks. I don't think you can add actual folders to the bookmarks bar with Firefox. The Reader button is great if you just want to focus on one part of a busy page.

I would still like more options with the tabs and i would like it to show me the url of any link that i hover over like Firefox does.

Overall though, i am pretty impressed with Safari so far. I think i will spend some time really getting in to the guts of it later to see what it can do. I think i'm only scratching the surface so far.

If you using a Mac it has to be camino, been running it for years and years, its quick and not bloatware.

IE FTW! Firefox is crap, Opera is crap, and Chrome is also.... Crap.

Are you a MS fanboy by any chance. ?

Explain 'crap' please Rich. You constantly claim it but never back it up.

I spent the last two weeks using IE and i think it is poor compared to Firefox. If it wasn't a page loading slowly, it was the hanging on adverts. The popup blocker seemed to do it's own thing as and when it wanted to.

Obviously there are millions of people who love IE but i am not one of them. I think most browsers trump IE these days and M$ are just happy to play catchup every so often.

Anything but IE!!

Chrome is good, so is firefox.. try safari?

I use Safari on my my Smart phone, and it's OK but web browsing on a phone isn't good anyway, the screen's too small :(