Little gits in Crookes !!!!

Originally posted by irenewilde

You cheeky bugger! I have never knowingly broken the law in my life. And I certainly wouldn't dream of damaging property/other people's possessions.

Well I wasn't actually refering to you in particular, but if there's going to be a generalising frenzy, I thought I might as well get my tuppence worth in.

Originally posted by donkey (the first paragraph being a quote of my post)

'That seems to me to be a markedly inadequate answer to my question... I asked what your solution would be to discourage anti-social behaviour of the type discussed...'

I don't remember signing anything that said I had to answer any question you asked me in a way you approved of.

However, the post to which you are refering did imply that local people could get together, share information and take whatever action they deem to be appropriate in order to 'discourage anti-social behaviour of the type discussed...'

Donkey... If you're going to post comments that seemingly cast aspersions upon others...

Originally posted by donkey What's even more disturbing than kids running amok, is adults siting around fantasising about what nasty punishments we could do to them. In my experience, the people who bay for blood the most are usually far from innocent themselves.
...Then you must expect a reaction, which in my case was to ask you for your own solution... As in each of your following posts, you failed dismally to specify a solution, then I can only conclude that you have none and are merely blowing hot air... Which most certainly doesn't qualify you to make disparaging remarks about those who did offer a remedy.

BicO, You may not have noticed,but in other parts of this thread, someone has been insulted, and seems to have provoked a rather strong reaction, generally for saying we shouldn't bring back the rack. Language like 'people like you' etc.

This doesn't seem to bother you as much as my 'casting aspersions,' maybe because it's my views you object to more than my 'aspersions'

I wasn't being entirely serious either, but if anyone does consider themselves to be baying for blood, or fantasising about punishing children, then I may have offended them.

Thirdly, regarding this: 'the post to which you are refering did imply that local people could get together, share information and take whatever action they deem to be appropriate in order to 'discourage anti-social behaviour of the type discussed...'

It strikes me as strange that someone who seems so eloquent otherwise, can seriously say that I have offered no solution, especially seems though I pointed out that this approach has been seen to be effective where I live, where, believe me, there has been plenty of trouble with teenagers in the street.

I will spell it out more though. The action which was taken included sharing information on who the main troublemakers were and where they lived, informing their parents of their activities and gathering testimonials for the police and council - among other things.

If kids feel like they're being watched, and that they will be confronted about their activities, believe me, it has a deterrent effect. Quite often people are too intimidated to confront gangs of kids. But if you can get gangs of adults together, it's not so scary. I'm talking about verbal confrontation - by the way - not vigalantes. In short, community action.

Part of original post by donkey

---The action which was taken included sharing information on who the main troublemakers were and where they lived, informing their parents of their activities and gathering testimonials for the police and council - among other things.

If kids feel like they're being watched, and that they will be confronted about their activities, believe me, it has a deterrent effect. Quite often people are too intimidated to confront gangs of kids. But if you can get gangs of adults together, it's not so scary. I'm talking about verbal confrontation - by the way - not vigalantes. In short, community action.

Now, as the saying goes... If only you'd said this in the first place... You'd have saved me some typing! ;)

From what you say happened, it sounds to have been an effective course to follow... Though I still believe that parents should be made responsible for the actions of their kids, both morally and financially.

Originally posted by Rich

Yeah, and even if you get them bang to rights for the crime, they rarely do the time... And even if they go down for 2 years in a young offender's institute they're out in 6 months for good behaviour... :loopy:

Bloody loony lefties won't let the Police punish youngsters to the full extent of the law... Seriously if they were allowed to put a little "fear of God" into these kids, even they'd think twice about re-offending... :rant:

Couldn't agree more!

2 or 3 years ago there was a house fire at hillsborough in which a young girl died of horrific injuries.

The fire brigade didn't get to her quick enough because they were out dealing with a small fire a group of kids had started on a nearby allotment.

I don't think these kids started the fire intending to hurt anyone, the same as kids who set off fire alarms and make hoax calls to the fire brigade think it's ok because no one is getting hurt.

If these kids were made to visit the aftermath of a fire or to meet a burns victim they might well realise the damage their "harmless" pranks can cause.

I agree with you in essence

Originally posted by chav

We get these problems because:-

Communities do not act as communities any more

Parents want to be their kids friends - thery are scared of being parents - they don't know how to exercise proper control]

We now have generations of parents who grew up being parented themselves in very lax times where increasingly more and more rules, laws and general guidance became relaxed and disappeared. The child learns from the adult and in the formative years it is from the parent or main carer.

[Parents are often too dim to know what good parenting is, or they can't be bothered]

I am not a "do-gooder" or "leftie" but if you were not taught or did not experience what good parents were, then your chances of being a good parent are diminished.

[Teachers and the police have their hands tied by the antics of the loony left]

Who would be a school teacher in today's society? There are no effective or adequate sanctions that can be applied in school. Too often when a school attempts to establish order and control via a system of sanctions we hear, read and see irate parents 'taking on the school'. We then see ludicrous outcomes from any subsequent review process which supports the child/parents and in certain cases rewards them. It's the world we live in - where there's blame there's a claim.

[We keep building lousy estates without giving proper consideration to leisure facilities for kids]

Any environment can produce the kind of individual being discussed on this thread but obviously I agree that the poorer and more socially deprived areas are more prone.

We are a society that wants things. We want material things; we want our time filled for us - to be entertained; we want others to take on our responsibities of bringing up children - if they misbehave, then its the schools fault. And we all get caught up in this pressure. So as an easy going 50+ I have the momentary rant when an inconsiderate motorist cuts me up, or someone pushes in front of me whilst I queue and countless other examples.

It has taken years of erosion to the values which once existed in our society (and I accept that things were not perfect when I was growing up). But I did learn respect, compassion, understanding, honour, decency and it is these values I have tried to instill in my own children - now adults themselves. IMO it begins at home and parents are responsible. Only then can you expect influences such as school, wider community, police etc to

have an effect.

Rant over - it's just my opinion

these kids (about 10 in all) are a nightmare in crookes, its gotta be them (not that im posting proof) but they get away with what they want

Any environment can produce the kind of individual being discussed on this thread but obviously I agree that the poorer and more socially deprived areas are more prone.

We are a society that wants things. We want material things; we want our time filled for us - to be entertained; we want others to take on our responsibities of bringing up children - if they misbehave, then its the schools fault. And we all get caught up in this pressure. So as an easy going 50+ I have the momentary rant when an inconsiderate motorist cuts me up, or someone pushes in front of me whilst I queue and countless other examples

It has taken years of erosion to the values which once existed in our society (and I accept that things were not perfect when I was growing up). But I did learn respect, compassion, understanding, honour, decency and it is these values I have tried to instill in my own children - now adults themselves. IMO it begins at home and parents are responsible. Only then can you expect influences such as school, wider community, police etc to

I'm 50+ as well, and I couldn't agree more with the above from grandadtee!

Originally posted by grandadtee

I agree with you in essence

I am not a "do-gooder" or "leftie" but if you were not taught or did not experience what good parents were, then your chances of being a good parent are diminished.

have an effect.

Rant over - it's just my opinion

I think that's possibly the best message I've ever read on this forum. It's not a rant, it's just clear good sense and so true. I'm in my mid-40's so I'm not that far behind you! Excellent grandadtee!!!

Originally posted by irenewilde

I think that's possibly the best message I've ever read on this forum. It's not a rant, it's just clear good sense and so true. I'm in my mid-40's so I'm not that far behind you! Excellent grandadtee!!!

I am blushing. Thanks for your kind words