Sainsburys Division Street

division st dont need a sainsbury's spoiling it, it needs more independant, shops.

Wow - throwing beer bottles at some low paid lighting worker - what a contribution to the Class War you are making...

Yawn!

Good morning everyone....

Oh what a beautifull morning, Oh what a beautifull day!

I've got a beautifull feeling, everything is going my way!

:cool:

Philip Green does not own Sainsbury's. I think people now more than ever should try to shop local otherwise within a few years there will be no local shops left. I for one during my time in Sheffield loved shopping locally at the fruit shop and green grocers etc.

But people obviously dont want local shops. If they did trade would be booming and they would'nt be closing.

Chains taking over is not a complete fluke you know. If their tills were silent they would not bother expanding. Its quite clear there is a demand for a sainsburys / greggs / subway / tesco / size / g-star......... these places are hardly empty.

If people really care about local shops like they claim to why dont they simply vote with their feet.

The old HSBC opposite the Henderson's factory/near the uni tramstop is going to become a Sainsbury's as well.

This is as well as the old Jacksons near the Star and Garter which is one now too, just a few hundred yards away!

But people obviously dont want local shops. If they did trade would be booming and they would'nt be closing.

Chains taking over is not a complete fluke you know. If their tills were silent they would not bother expanding. Its quite clear there is a demand for a sainsburys / greggs / subway / tesco / size / g-star......... these places are hardly empty.

If people really care about local shops like they claim to why dont they simply vote with their feet.

Not as simple as that though is. Chain supermarkets have the mass marketing, have the money to open 24 hours a day, are able to sell products below cost price and have the ability and power to open more or less every where and any where they want.

Hows a local butcher, greengrocer, fishmonger etc supposed to compete against such a huge machine such as that??

Supermarkets dont care... about the damage they are doing to local shopping areas, they want as much of your money spent with them and can afford to go to great lengths to get your money

Of course they dont. they are business.

They are not there to be kind to their rivals no matter how small they are.

The fact still remains that people are well aware of what local shops are and what service they can provide BUT they just dont want to use them. Mass Marketing has very little to do with it. I am fully aware of my local butcher and baker but I walk stright past them. Why? Becuase they are closed when I need them.

Go and ask the local shops whether they would be willing to open later, provide home delivery, stock better products, provide multiple items and services in one store or offer or contribute towards car parking. They would no doubt say NO.

That's one of the biggest problems. Consumer needs and demands have changed and they simply have not moved with the times.

Edited by ECCOnoob

no consumers are lazy and supermarkets take advantage of it selling anything and everything they can... and the government allows it. sad times for the high street

I came back to Sheffield this weekend for the first time in a while and saw the new Sainsbury's on Division St. As other posters have said there's little the Council can do due to the existing planning consent on the building - and there isn't scope in planning law to stop Sainsbury's opening another store just because there are already other stores in the same chain nearby. Similarly, as the building was previously a pub Wetherspoons could have easily opened another one there, even though it's just down from the Water Works/Benjamin Huntsman.

Agree about the ubiquitousness of chains but there are still plenty of independent shops on Division St and the side streets, especially the various clothing shops.