Watching football in the 1950s

Went to Hillsboro with my uncle about 1954. Wednesday won 2-1. Dooley scoring one of them.

It would not be 54 if Dooley scored it would 51-2

My first game was Dooley's benefit match, I remember being passed over the heads to get nearer to the pitch, then my first proper game was 1955/56 the first match against Plymouth Argyle, Ron Staniforth, Don Gibson, Roy Shiner & Albert Broabent making there debuts we won 5-2 or 5-3 Quixall & Sewall scoring all the goals between them, we started out at the Leppings Lane End and at half time went round to the Kop for the second half, the last game that season we played Lincoln City and beat then 5 something we were presented with the League 2 Championship Shield, we invaded the pitch and dug a bit up to put in the garden at home (vandalism on a small scale!!!!!) I remember being at the players entrance for a local derby and spoke to Alan Hodgkinson & Graham Shaw in those days it was resect whoever they played for and these people were approachable and tolerated the supporter not like today. Albert Broadbent used to come to Hillsborough on the tram, I remember Dennis Woodhead & Redfern Froggatt having a car. I only wish the lot that turn out for us now were half as good as that team of 1955/56, isnt it nice to dream ?

My first game was Dooley's benefit match, I remember being passed over the heads to get nearer to the pitch, then my first proper game was 1955/56 the first match against Plymouth Argyle, Ron Staniforth, Don Gibson, Roy Shiner & Albert Broabent making there debuts we won 5-2 or 5-3 Quixall & Sewall scoring all the goals between them, we started out at the Leppings Lane End and at half time went round to the Kop for the second half, the last game that season we played Lincoln City and beat then 5 something we were presented with the League 2 Championship Shield, we invaded the pitch and dug a bit up to put in the garden at home (vandalism on a small scale!!!!!) I remember being at the players entrance for a local derby and spoke to Alan Hodgkinson & Graham Shaw in those days it was resect whoever they played for and these people were approachable and tolerated the supporter not like today. Albert Broadbent used to come to Hillsborough on the tram, I remember Dennis Woodhead & Redfern Froggatt having a car. I only wish the lot that turn out for us now were half as good as that team of 1955/56, isnt it nice to dream ?

Remember the Lincoln game 5-3 the Imps giving us a bit of a scare, it was also my first excursion onto the hallowed turf. It amazes me how fondly the fifties yo-yo sides are remembered, can't imagine anybody in fifty years time eulogizing about the present lot.

My dad used to take me to Hillsboro in the 1950s. I recall being passed over the turnstile if it was a friendly gateman, or underneath if he wasn't!

The first game I can actually remember was against Lincoln City on Boxing Day 1958, when the Owls won 7-0. I think Redfern Froggatt and John Fantham both scored twice in this game. The keeper was Dave McIntosh, and I can remember him fluffing a goal kick and someone in crowd shouting "McIntosh, that couldn't kick the skin off a rice pudding". Happy days!

I was also taken to see Yorkshire play cricket at Bramall Lane - apparently a football team also played there in the winter months.

As I recall a football team did play at Bramall Lane in the 50s the first game I was taken too in the 52/53 season was against the Wed I believe the score was 7-3 to the Blades but we don't sing about that one unlike one game on Boxing day :hihi: .

To Jack Hewitt, WELL SAID SIR! I remember watching it stood at the back of the Bramall Lane goal.

Hi Jacko 1 - you and I must have been almost shoulder-to-shoulder on the terraces in the 1950s. Yes - Albert Quixall, Redfern Froggatt, Albert Broadbent - they were our heroes; as you say we need players of this calibre nowadays. Ronnie Starling, who captained Wednesday's F.A. cup-winning team in 1935, had a newsagent's shop in Middliewood Road, and in 1961-62 I was his paper boy. Can you imagine one of today's millionaire players retiring from the game to run a paper shop?

To Jack Hewitt, WELL SAID SIR! I remember watching it stood at the back of the Bramall Lane goal.

Hi sharrovian do you also remember in the same season 52/53 a certain Jimmy Hagan turning our massive neighbors down when they attempted to sign him on a then record transfer fee of £32,000.

"Wonderful Wonderful Jimmy Hagan he's the best player in the land

when he scores a goal you can hear the roar and their flocking to the stands"

HAPPY DAYS :love: .

As I recall a football team did play at Bramall Lane in the 50s the first game I was taken too in the 52/53 season was against the Wed I believe the score was 7-3 to the Blades but we don't sing about that one unlike one game on Boxing day :hihi: .

Here you go Jack:

Sheffield United v Sheffield Wednesday 8.9.51

Don't recall Wednesday playing the Blades in 1952-53 - the Owls were in division one and United in division two!

They didn't play in the cup so would welcome clarification on the 7-3 game. Wednesday reserves played at Bramall Lane that season and Dooley scored twice in a 3-1 win.

Here you go Jack:

hiya going back a bit to 1949 ish i still remember this england team walking out to play scotland this is how they walked out. WRIGHT,HOWE, ASTON MILBURN, FRANKLIN, FINNEY, COCKBURN, PEARSON, MATTHEWS, MORTENSON, SWIFT,

not a bad lineup for £20 maximum wage each p/w, many years ago i would ask for football annuals for birthday,christmas presents, i think they cost around 2s 6d each no tv matches then,i was 10/11 years old at the time

Edited by willybite

Don't recall Wednesday playing the Blades in 1952-53 - the Owls were in division one and United in division two!

They didn't play in the cup so would welcome clarification on the 7-3 game. Wednesday reserves played at Bramall Lane that season and Dooley scored twice in a 3-1 win.

It was the 1951-2 season. See below:

Edited by Sonofsharrow

I remember the Wednesday team from the late forties. It was Morton, Ashley, Catlin, Russell, Millership, Cockroft, Reynolds, Robinson, Melling, Thompson and Swift. In those days Swift was a left winger who became a full back when Catlin was injured. Cockroft and Reynolds were guest players during the war who stayed on. The very first footballer transferred after the war was Charlie Tomlinson from Bradford Park Avenue to Wednesday. He was a guest player for Rotherham during the war.