Watching football in the 1950s

Hi Sonofsharrow, Just to add a bit of light heartedness into the proceedings at least we got 3 in that game and your lot got nowt in the Boxing Day thrash. Keep it up and was it you that put on line the Sheffield Boys programmes of the 1950's versus Nottingham, Sunderland & Liverpool ? I really enjoyed those as it brought back long since forgotten people who I knew at the time, thanks for that.

Yes I remember that the Owls tried to buy Sir James but he wasn't having it, I also remember that the 7-3 could have been 8-3 but Fred Furniss missed a penalty. There has been a lot said about the recent comeback by the Owls but in the 7-3 game they went 1-0 up after 90 seconds and still got hammered. Funny how I remember events of all those years ago and sometimes can't remember what happened yesterday.

The gate price at both Owlerton & Bramhall lane was 1s & 6 d for old age pensioners & service men in uniform in 1950. Strange no mention of service women.

In those days, quite a few of the football players used to smoke. Jackie Milburn of Newcastle Utd recounts the story of nipping off to the toilets before an FA Cup Final at Wembley to have a fag. Four other of his team mates were already there smoking away.

hello to you all, this was in the Hillsborough programme of the recent between the Sheffield clubs and I quote

MAGNIFICENT SEVEN

The 4-0 thrashing of the blades on Boxing Day 1979 is still the Owls biggest margin in a Steel City derby in competitive competition. But few are aware that Wednesday picked up a 7-2 victory overUnited in a friendly in 1955. The Owls had drawn the blades at Hillsborough in the County Cup and in preparation of playing under floodlights in S6 (a concept of the new game)the two Sheffield clubs played a friendly one month before the clash in October 1955. Only 30 spectators were admitted to the ground - vowing not release the result or details of the game. However the News Chronicle paper printed a full match report which revealed the owls had won 7-2 with Jackie Sewell (3), Roy Shiner (3) and Albert Quixall on target.

After reading this report I seem to remember that at the time of the said game you couldn't get a News Chronicle for love nor money within a 50 mile radius of Sheffield and usually that was the paper that didn't sell much.

hello to you all, this was in the Hillsborough programme of the recent between the Sheffield clubs and I quote

MAGNIFICENT SEVEN

The 4-0 thrashing of the blades on Boxing Day 1979 is still the Owls biggest margin in a Steel City derby in competitive competition. But few are aware that Wednesday picked up a 7-2 victory overUnited in a friendly in 1955. The Owls had drawn the blades at Hillsborough in the County Cup and in preparation of playing under floodlights in S6 (a concept of the new game)the two Sheffield clubs played a friendly one month before the clash in October 1955. Only 30 spectators were admitted to the ground - vowing not release the result or details of the game. However the News Chronicle paper printed a full match report which revealed the owls had won 7-2 with Jackie Sewell (3), Roy Shiner (3) and Albert Quixall on target.

After reading this report I seem to remember that at the time of the said game you couldn't get a News Chronicle for love nor money within a 50 mile radius of Sheffield and usually that was the paper that didn't sell much.

Hi Jacko, yes I read that too, very interesting, strange that they didn't mention the result in the County Cup game itself. (lol).

Sheffield Wednesday v Sheffield United (County Cup Preliminary Rd) 2.11.55

Sorry, we could go forever like this.

Yes it was me who posted the link for the schoolboy matches, glad you enjoyed them.

I didn't watch any footy in the 50's as I wasn't born mainly at that time.

I do remember my dad taking me my first game a little after that though and he used to lift me up in the air and pass me over his head to get me to the front where I could see. I wish he hadn't insisted on saying "smack him - pass him on" though. I was black and blue by the time I reached those railings.

I remember the Woody/Currie era well - that was my team for sure. I did go and watch them play Wed as a neutral for my first match actually - and my mind was soon made up.

I am a season ticket holder at the lane and have 2 more for my boys. I didn't get one for the wife because I don't want to encourage her. She asks too many questions during a game when I'm concentrating y'see.

Anyhow, good to see that both Sheffield teams are as bad as each other once again eh?

The great Burnley Footballer Jimmy Adamson died yesterday, he was the captain of the great Burnley sides of the late fifties early sixties that included Jimmy Mcllroy, Ray Pointer' Brian Pilkington, and Alex Elder. Rest In Peace Jimmy Adamson a great player.

Used to watch the blades a lot. Once won a guinea in the "Green-un" when they used to ring faces in a photograph of the crowd. Also remember one game against Sunderland, when the railing collapsed after a crowd surge at the cop end. Watched the game sat on bales of straw on the cricket pitch side.

Remember when the guys used to come around the perimeter of the playing area at half time and throw ice cream bars up to customers stood high up in the Kop at Hillsborough? Can't remember though whether we used to pass the money down to him or throw it down. Had it been the latter, they must have been good catchers. :D

Dad took me to Hillsborough when I was about 3 in 1949. Went to many matches in the 1950s and remembered how exciting it was to see wingers, a centre forward, inside right/left and full backs who never came over the half-way line. Supporters could also swap sides at half-time. Remember the score board at Leppings Lane end?