Football Legend George Best has died

Originally posted by daverity

Spyro, it's hard to concur with Angelus's opinion on this for several reasons.

I regularly come on here (the forum) and read posts from members that for instance advocate clemency for such reprehensible human beings as Saddam Hussein, they've excercised understanding for Islamo-facist suicide bombers and other odious members of the human race.

George Best was a footballing genius better informed people than you or I have said that with consistent regularity for many years. The downside of genius is that sometimes it comes with faults. George's was alcohol and all the faults that come with that. His stardom 40 years ago came like a bolt out of the blue, his then manager, Matt Busby, didn't know how to manage it and sadly George fell into an abyss. Stars today are better managed and generally they are shepherded away from the ills but even after the lessons learnt from Best there are exceptions, Paul Gascoigne, Paul Merson and Tony Adams being the most notable.

I was born in the 60's and Bestie, although unfortunately never an Everton player, was a football inspiration to millions of kids like myself. Millions of football spectators thrilled on his performances even though their team was probably on the losing side because of him. I've actually posted on a Man U website tonight about Bestie. On the same thread there were posts from fans of countless other clubs rejoicing in what he brought to the game.

Yes Angelus is right, George drank too much, might have hit his wife/girlfriend and at times made a total tw@t of himself but he did bring pleasure to many, many people during his football career and even afterwards.

He had flaws and frailties, we've all got those but some of the comments made about him don't rank him alongside what should be reserved for Ian Huntley, Brady or some other repugnant individual.

You also make fair points...

...but imo his footballing ability has nothing to do with my opinion on his situation right now. Yes he was a legend on the football pitch, but what it boils down to is that he treated his woman like crap and wasted the rest of his life to drink.

This is why I thihnk Angelus has a fair point, because Angelus can split the football away from this situation, they are 2 different things. If he wasnt a legend I would still feel the same way. It makes no difference at all to my opinion.

Admittedly, George has done a lot wrong.

But I generally think he was screwed up from a young age, and needed help that he didnt receive.

Rather, there were always people there to take advantage of him, and deep down he was very lonely.

Originally posted by spyro2000

You also make fair points...

...but imo his footballing ability has nothing to do with my opinion on his situation right now. Yes he was a legend on the football pitch, but what it boils down to is that he treated his woman like crap and wasted the rest of his life to drink.

This is why I thihnk Angelus has a fair point, because Angelus can split the football away from this situation, they are 2 different things. If he wasnt a legend I would still feel the same way. It makes no difference at all to my opinion.

The fact is without his footballing ability we wouldn't be having this debate now. I've personally experienced someone who fell foul to alcohol.

Angelus is correct about George's shortcomings, they have been nothing to be proud of but my point is some of the comments made here and other threads a week or two ago, should have been reserved for the Saddam Husseins of this world.

Guderian probably summed it up well, with 'just be quiet for once'. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by Guderian

Admittedly, George has done a lot wrong.

But I generally think he was screwed up from a young age, and needed help that he didnt receive.

Rather, there were always people there to take advantage of him, and deep down he was very lonely.

Theres no excuse for some of the stuff he has done :mad:

Forget the wifebeating stuff. the fact is he robbed somebody a lot more worthy of a liver transplant and then carried on drinking. He should have died 3 years ago and given someone else the chance of a decent life.

Drunk scum.

Originally posted by coopster1974

Forget the wifebeating stuff. the fact is he robbed somebody a lot more worthy of a liver transplant and then carried on drinking. He should have died 3 years ago and given someone else the chance of a decent life.

Drunk scum.

Golly Coopster74.

You won't have any problems deciding what to dress up as at any Christmas/New Year Fancy Dress Party, will you?

You can obviously go as God Almighty.

('He who is without sin' etc, should be familiar.)

Originally posted by Ousetunes

Golly Coopster74.

You won't have any problems deciding what to dress up as at any Christmas/New Year Fancy Dress Party, will you?

You can obviously go as God Almighty.

('He who is without sin' etc, should be familiar.)

Sure, I agree completely.

"Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers"

Voltaire

A statement is about to be read from the west London hospital where George Best has been for the last few days. It had to come eventualy. This Irish son has lived the life of lifes & like everything else, you reap what you sow. I hate all sports but I like this person, arts an all.

Talk Sport. Go to MW if you not got digital then its 1089 or somewhere round there. They are waiting outside the hospital now.

They announced it on Hallam FM at 13:00, he has died.

:(