Warning - car theft Norfolk Road

This may be old news to some but first time I have experienced it so wanted to give a warning to anyone parking on Norfolk Road.

I have parked there every day for the last year as I get the train to work in Manchester. I usually return to my car at 17.30 but finished early today and got to my car at 12.30 to find it on the back of a tow truck! When asked what they were doing I was told that they were from Swift Garage and had received a phone call from a guy saying he had lost his keys on the train and could they take it to Norton. I proved it was my car they apologised and lowered it back down. At the time I was just grateful that I still had my car. Got back in it to find a dodgy handbrake so took it to the garage to be told they had cut the handbrake cable.

So in hindsight there clearly was no guy but it was the 2 blokes I was talking to who were trying to steal my car. I have reported it and I did take the licence plate of the tow truck (probably false I know) I am annoyed that I didn't call the police there and then but I still have my car so it could have been a lot worse.

I will certainly not be parking on Norfolk Road again and the big lesson learned - do not park at the start of a row where a tow truck is able to pull in front!

A little update for future reference - South Yorkshire Police found the guy responsible! Well chuffed. Paid me for the damage caused. Unfortunately was not charged as not enough evidence but still more achieved than expected :)

good i,m glad when it turns out right for the victim

Thanks Rudds1 - certainly makes a nice change :)

telling us the truck details would be a good idea, so people can keep an eye out

a friend of mine had her new mini taken in the same way on norfolk road last year :o

A friend of mine left work one day to find her car gone not to sure where this happened will have to find out.... thank you for this

telling us the truck details would be a good idea, so people can keep an eye out

The problem is he borrowed the truck from a friend of a friends garage under false pretences - fortunately the garage know now what happened and they have changed their policy to never lend out the truck.

I can't believe the number of people this has happened to. It disgusts me that some people think they can just help themselves to other peoples cars when they are at work! I never did get the cost of the damages back - he just get fobbing me off and the police said it was my job to liaise with him for it! Going to push for charging him with criminal damage now - I just cant let it go and let him get away with it.

Thanks for sharing this, there are some things I had no idea about (like people going round trying doors so they can burgle your house - like ours). Keep pursuing it, the police shouldn't be telling you to sort it out yourself!

unbelieveable! I was very naive before all this happened. Just sad to know that these things happen all around us.

But I do believe in karma............. :)