Who made your suits in the 60s

Yes I do remember Spencer’s in wicker had a black jacket with white flex in it in teddy boy days you had a maroon suit from him I got one from l black Norfolk row also maroon yours was much better than mine I think jimmy bradshaw had one from Spencer’s also 

6 minutes ago, Slinny said:

Yes I do remember Spencer’s in wicker had a black jacket with white flex in it in teddy boy days you had a maroon suit from him I got one from l black Norfolk row also maroon yours was much better than mine I think jimmy bradshaw had one from Spencer’s also 

yep I remember that suit it had black and maroon pattern ,it was a loose comfortable suite , West Indian style with waistcoat .One of the best I ever had and half the cost of one from Barney Goodman , 

George I remember you working in light gray jacket from Levi’s  one day it was raining and I put it on some of the horse hair was coming through front of it  that was when suits were made right they just put thin stuff in now . 

Hi spencer in wicker opened a shop years after is shop closed in wicker.  they called it Simons just below gambling club at gray stones. A old friend called ray chisel  went to him ray was very smart . I went had two suits and  top coat  made still got one gave top coat to my son it closed. Way back 

On 11/11/2021 at 14:57, Slinny said:

Hi spencer in wicker opened a shop years after is shop closed in wicker.  they called it Simons just below gambling club at gray stones. A old friend called ray chisel  went to him ray was very smart . I went had two suits and  top coat  made still got one gave top coat to my son it closed. Way back 

Hi again can anyone tell me where I can get a. Good  suit made as Sheffield as no one now.I have three lengths off cloth all good stuff  I will travel in Yorkshire if I can find a good one not a middle man  thank you, ps one who knows how to put canvas in front off jackets 

3 hours ago, Slinny said:

Hi again can anyone tell me where I can get a. Good  suit made as Sheffield as no one now.I have three lengths off cloth all good stuff  I will travel in Yorkshire if I can find a good one not a middle man  thank you, ps one who knows how to put canvas in front off jackets 

try Manoj at 480 Glossop road , tel 01143275129 . has good reviews G

What about Ashley Rogers on City Road (Manor Top) ? Good reviews,, not sure about own cloth tho'.

48 minutes ago, St Petre said:

What about Ashley Rogers on City Road (Manor Top) ? Good reviews,, not sure about own cloth tho'.

Ashley has retired, it's his Son who runs it now.......

Used to go to a tailors on Bridge  St.  Can't remember the name ;  was  it Levis   or one of Barney's shops . Can anyone help !

Edited by martin441

The only tailor I knew near bridge street was bill Manley’s had  shop on corparation street they say he worked for Barney goodman, he was hit and miss with the suits I had a few off him. Mine were nowhere near as good as barney but cheaper 

On 02/02/2022 at 18:37, Slinny said:

The only tailor I knew near bridge street was bill Manley’s had  shop on corparation street they say he worked for Barney goodman, he was hit and miss with the suits I had a few off him. Mine were nowhere near as good as barney but cheaper 

Sorry name off tailor was bill Mackley. First thing I got off him was sports coat 1962  cost £12 over a weeks wages at that time . 

I'm sat here thinking,

My Grand daughter is 18, and Grandson is 16.

What I'm thinking is their could be a wedding looming in the near future.

And I haven't got a suit.

The last suit I bought was for my wedding in 1967.

I remember traipsing all over town for it, and back then their was a tailor on every street corner, I settled for John Collier "The window to watch"

Anyway up, believe it or not, I still have it tucked away in a wardrobe.

So I thought I would try it on.

Chuffin ek, It's shrunk,

The trousers will no longer do up properly, and the jacket feels very tight, it must have been a fault in the manufacturing process.

So I'm thinking of getting a new one......

Right, like all sensible beings, I wish to get my clothes shopping done as quickly as possible, but this is not allowed when your having something tailored.

I remember the nightmare of purchasing my first suit, first of all, the man in the shop will want to measure every single part of your body, and his tape measure is made by the people who make bathroom scales.. I don't care what it says: I do not have a 38in waist, just as I do not weigh 16 stone.

After you have been humiliated, and fondled, you will sit down with a book full of nothing but material. All of it looks exactly the same to me. The tailor can do his best to tell you that some of the fabric is heavier, of warmer, but frankly I can pick one blindfold and it won't make a jot of difference, if it's grey it'll be fine.

At this point they ask you to choose a lining and, while you know it doesn't matter, your tempted to go for summat a bit mad.

I wanted to present an outward appearance of sober restraint, but I knew that behind the facade of sobriety beats the heart of a Californian surfer, so I chose lime green.

Then they ask you how many buttons on the front, and how many I'd like on the cuffs-none isn't an option, then for no reason at all, what sort of pockets do you like, and where they should go, and how far down the heel of my shoe the strides should reach, it was like doing a test in a subject that I knew absolutely nothing about.

However, with that done, there was a sense I could get out of the shop and back to the bothersome business of making a living.

But no,

I had to make to make an appointment to go back for a fitting, and my head was screaming , "Why?"

I'd been in the shop for what seemed like a year, and now a further day is needed for a fitting.

Eventually, I received a call to say that my new suit was ready, and so, having primed my cheque book for what would be a Eurozone assault on it's core, I made yet another trip to town to collect a garment I didn't really like or agree with.

I'm wondering if old Cuttsie has got an old Barnies cast off he could donate,

I really don't want to go through that again.

• Haha 1