Who made your suits in the 60s

Remember buying a Beatles jacket and wearing it for the first time on a night out at Club 60,  ditched it when I changed my allegiance to the Stones. 

Had suit's made in the late 60s by Isadore Newman and Ted Mackley, had my wedding suit made by Ted Williams on London Road in 71,  paid 40 guineas, I think the tie was 12/11,  i couldn't get my head around how to convert to the new  currency.

Think the suit's in the loft.  I'll have to get it down and see if it still fits.😊

2 hours ago, LLAN said:

Remember buying a Beatles jacket and wearing it for the first time on a night out at Club 60,  ditched it when I changed my allegiance to the Stones. 

Had suit's made in the late 60s by Isadore Newman and Ted Mackley, had my wedding suit made by Ted Williams on London Road in 71,  paid 40 guineas, I think the tie was 12/11,  i couldn't get my head around how to convert to the new  currency.

Think the suit's in the loft.  I'll have to get it down and see if it still fits.😊

I had my wedding day suit made at Ted Williams'..  1974 -  mine too was stashed away in the house somewhere.. as it was still very little used, I decided early this year,  to give it to charity.. but I had to try it on one more time.. and yep'..  I could still squeeze into it.....   just ! 

On 10/10/2021 at 13:04, harvey19 said:

I had a mohair suit made by a tailor at the bottom of West Street in 1969. Got a Ben Sherman? shirt and tie to go with it from a shop on Chapel Walk.

Conway's Bottom of West street, next to Gray's and then across the road upstairs when he moved.

Still have 2 of his Drapes in't wardrobe. Rest of my Ted suits were done at Keith Mallinson's, Rotherham.

Bought a couple of Ted suits at Barney Goodman's where people had ordered them and not returned to collect them.

Happy Daze.

Got my wedding suit at,

"John Collier, John Collier, the window to watch"

Hi they were a lots of tailors in Sheffield in 60s some of  their names   Hips.  Weaver to wearer  l black Percy Nixon   Goldbloom  bill curneyn  Fred burns  conways  Wilfin and black lions. M Newman Jackson’s  march the tailor montigue russel furnace and duke   Wild smith barny goodman  Levi’s   Bill macley  bronx   And many more 

5 hours ago, Slinny said:

Hi they were a lots of tailors in Sheffield in 60s some of  their names   Hips.  Weaver to wearer  l black Percy Nixon   Goldbloom  bill curneyn  Fred burns  conways  Wilfin and black lions. M Newman Jackson’s  march the tailor montigue russel furnace and duke   Wild smith barny goodman  Levi’s   Bill macley  bronx   And many more 

Tha's forgot Austin Reeds , made me a suit that was like Norman Wisdoms .

Hi George I had one from Holden someone had pressed trousers up sides coat to tight he said give me a10pounds and wear it for carrying the hod I said no

1 hour ago, Slinny said:

Hi George I had one from Holden someone had pressed trousers up sides coat to tight he said give me a10pounds and wear it for carrying the hod I said no

I remember when we turned up on a job at Woodseats , all in three piece suites , The gaffer said jump down there in that hole full of watttter and build manhole , we said pith of and grabbed cards back of him .

In the 60s I had the bright idea of obtaining a suit on the cheap which I passed on to a mate of mine "Robin Crapper"who said he could help through his contacts!.Any way we ended up at a Latvian drinking club where a bloke gave us an address and phone number of someone in Bradford and off we went there to obtain a suit length  each of top quality material!.Back we came to Sheffield with the cloth next Robin said "I know a good tailor!",big mistake as I was having misgivings about the whole idea,my suit when finished was a pigs ear not fitting well at all,it was a disaster of epic proportions I was very disapointed after all the lengths and expense we went too!.It went to the charity shop without me wearing it,a costly waste of time and money,me and my bright ideas which I kept to myself from then on!.

Robin Crapper A Walkley gentleman .

Hi  if you want bargin with suit lengths check eBay I have had Reid and Taylor very very cheap Keith and Henderson who made Reid and Taylor and toriador which Holden sold lots of  all good heavy cloth keep checking regularly  the only trouble is where to get a good suit made   Best of luck