Who made your suits in the 60s

Hmmm... :huh:

Now not wishing to put a spanner in the works, Mr Padders...
... but are you SURE they're going to be inviting you? :suspect:

It'd be an awful waste of money to get yourself sorted with a 3 piece made-to-measure if you're just going to wear it to do the gardening!

But I suppose if you managed to wangle the reception to be at Padders Bar then they'd HAVE to invite you! :idea:

And a promised wedding gift of a personal appearance by those world famous keyboard virtuosos, The Baubles, playing the wedding march might just help to convince the happy couple (one way or the other).

I know I'd PAY to see THAT! :thumbsup: (well, maybe not ACTUALLY pay!)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Padders said:

I'm sat here thinking,

My Grand daughter is 18, and Grandson is 16.

What I'm thinking is their could be a wedding looming in the near future.

And I haven't got a suit.

The last suit I bought was for my wedding in 1967.

I remember traipsing all over town for it, and back then their was a tailor on every street corner, I settled for John Collier "The window to watch"

Anyway up, believe it or not, I still have it tucked away in a wardrobe.

So I thought I would try it on.

Chuffin ek, It's shrunk,

The trousers will no longer do up properly, and the jacket feels very tight, it must have been a fault in the manufacturing process.

So I'm thinking of getting a new one......

Right, like all sensible beings, I wish to get my clothes shopping done as quickly as possible, but this is not allowed when your having something tailored.

I remember the nightmare of purchasing my first suit, first of all, the man in the shop will want to measure every single part of your body, and his tape measure is made by the people who make bathroom scales.. I don't care what it says: I do not have a 38in waist, just as I do not weigh 16 stone.

After you have been humiliated, and fondled, you will sit down with a book full of nothing but material. All of it looks exactly the same to me. The tailor can do his best to tell you that some of the fabric is heavier, of warmer, but frankly I can pick one blindfold and it won't make a jot of difference, if it's grey it'll be fine.

At this point they ask you to choose a lining and, while you know it doesn't matter, your tempted to go for summat a bit mad.

I wanted to present an outward appearance of sober restraint, but I knew that behind the facade of sobriety beats the heart of a Californian surfer, so I chose lime green.

Then they ask you how many buttons on the front, and how many I'd like on the cuffs-none isn't an option, then for no reason at all, what sort of pockets do you like, and where they should go, and how far down the heel of my shoe the strides should reach, it was like doing a test in a subject that I knew absolutely nothing about.

However, with that done, there was a sense I could get out of the shop and back to the bothersome business of making a living.

But no,

I had to make to make an appointment to go back for a fitting, and my head was screaming , "Why?"

I'd been in the shop for what seemed like a year, and now a further day is needed for a fitting.

Eventually, I received a call to say that my new suit was ready, and so, having primed my cheque book for what would be a Eurozone assault on it's core, I made yet another trip to town to collect a garment I didn't really like or agree with.

I'm wondering if old Cuttsie has got an old Barnies cast off he could donate,

I really don't want to go through that again.

I will need your inside leg , your chest size , which way you hang and turnup preference . O n here if you don't mind , mine still fits me but may be to big for you , 

5 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

I will need your inside leg , your chest size , which way you hang and turnup preference . O n here if you don't mind , mine still fits me but may be to big for you , 

I've never got that "Which way do you hang sir"

It dunt seem to go left or right, it's just perpendicular?

38 minutes ago, Padders said:

I hang to the left find it easy to handle 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Padders said:

Actually it’s “Which way do you dress sir”?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 13/07/2023 at 10:01, crookesey said:

Not in a tailors shop but 'Anything for the weekend sir?' usually baffled me in barber's shops when I was about sixteen.

On 13/07/2023 at 15:01, crookesey said:

You're right Crookesey.

Mr. Duffems used to work for Jackson the Tailor in the 60's, the one on Fargate and also on the Moor, it was always "Which way do you dress sir?".

All the staff were referred to as "Mr" and,as customer walked through the door, the manager would say to the relevant staff member "Forward Mr.Smith" etc. to greet the customer, like Grace Brothers!

The staff had to learn about cloths, cutting, measuring, fitting even how to wrap the goods in brown paper with string, it was an art.

Looking back at our wedding photo of June 1970 all the men are wearing a suit from Jackson's!

REgards,

Duffems

1 minute ago, DUFFEMS said:

You're right Crookesey.

Mr. Duffems used to work for Jackson the Tailor in the 60's, the one on Fargate and also on the Moor, it was always "Which way do you dress sir?".

All the staff were referred to as "Mr" and,as customer walked through the door, the manager would say to the relevant staff member "Forward Mr.Smith" etc. to greet the customer, like Grace Brothers!

The staff had to learn about cloths, cutting, measuring, fitting even how to wrap the goods in brown paper with string, it was an art.

Looking back at our wedding photo of June 1970 all the men are wearing a suit from Jackson's!

REgards,

Duffems

Spent a full Saturday in 1967 going round all the tailor's for mi wedding suit.

Gosh, there was loads of them.

Finished up with one from John Collier.  Unlike the bricklayers, I couldn't afford a "Barney's"

• Like 2

I knew a Taylor called Tommy Machin, he had Bert Rhodes on Heely bottom and then the tailors on Hillsborough.

He used to do home visits and once when I went with him he was measuring a Hump backed man in his home and he said, "I'll have to charge you extra for the paunch sir".

I couldn't get out of that house fast enough.

😭😭😭😭.

Edited by Alextopman

11 hours ago, Padders said:

Spent a full Saturday in 1967 going round all the tailor's for mi wedding suit.

Gosh, there was loads of them.

Finished up with one from John Collier.  Unlike the bricklayers, I couldn't afford a "Barney's"

We can't afford a cockatoo , or African grey , or Macaw red or blue , or a yellow fronted Amazon not even a little Senegal green .

5 hours ago, cuttsie said:

We can't afford a cockatoo , or African grey , or Macaw red or blue , or a yellow fronted Amazon not even a little Senegal green .

Not to mention a budgie ger ar 

Edited by cuttsie
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Not to mention a budgie get at 

Did you get a Budgie jacket like Adam Faiths?.

We could afford the odd Chicken but it didn't get past the Monday fry up with what was left after Sunday dinner.