Who made your suits in the 60s

On 16/10/2021 at 14:54, cuttsie said:

Robin Crapper A Walkley gentleman .

I knew a Robin Crapper builder he used to booze in the Yew Tree Coal Aston and also a regular at Owlerton dog track, his relative was a trainer down there maybe Robin was as well..

He passed away a few years ago.

Edited by Alextopman

On 19/10/2021 at 14:54, Alextopman said:

I knew a Robin Crapper builder he used to booze in the Yew Tree Coal Aston and also a regular at Owlerton dog track, his relative was a trainer down there maybe Robin was as well..

He passed away a few years ago.

Robin passed away in his sleep while on holiday in Tenerife with his wife!.It was a shock as he always seemed healthy and was never overweight or ailing anything,I think heart trouble ran in the family but nobody expected it just the same!.

3 hours ago, old tup said:

Robin passed away in his sleep while on holiday in Tenerife with his wife!.It was a shock as he always seemed healthy and was never overweight or ailing anything,I think heart trouble ran in the family but nobody expected it just the same!.

That's him, yes it was a shock the only thing I can think of was he was a big drinker.

Back on the suit topic did you know Tommy Machin ( Tommy the tailor)?, he had the old Bert Rhodes shop on Heeley then later a shop at Hillsborough and never missed a Dog meeting at Owlerton.

Ashley Rogers at the Manor Top as well he now spends most of his time on the Algarve?.

They were characters with a few stories to tell.

Edited by Alextopman

Hi Ashley did his apprentice ship at co hop bottom of ecclesall  road his uncle was in the tailoring dpt their I think his partner Rodger also did his there to ,then he went to lions York street his first shop was top of  Mansfield road same place where foggy has funeral business at that time Dennis Hobsons think cousein with same name had upolstery businesses next to his  shop  around 1972 ,my mateRoy hempsells dad was the guy who worked in the tailoring department at the co op when Ashley started their around 1958 great guy .

I recall "Tailorfit" on Asline Road, could have been Alderson Road.

It was owned/managed by a chap called Graham (first name), my brother worked there in the early/mid sixties.

They both frequented the Ocelot.

Regards,

Duffems

On 23/10/2021 at 22:55, Slinny said:

Hi Ashley did his apprentice ship at co hop bottom of ecclesall  road his uncle was in the tailoring dpt their I think his partner Rodger also did his there to ,then he went to lions York street his first shop was top of  Mansfield road same place where foggy has funeral business at that time Dennis Hobsons think cousein with same name had upolstery businesses next to his  shop  around 1972 ,my mateRoy hempsells dad was the guy who worked in the tailoring department at the co op when Ashley started their around 1958 great guy .

Yes Dennis's Cousin did have the upholstery shop his son was running it the last time I was there, his Daughter was married to Pete Bodel for a while who has the tyre place round the corner.

Ashley has not been in very good form since he lost his wife .

Jevvy who you mentioned in another post is also not well and has had a bad time of it for the last couple of years.

I knew Ashley but never used his shop my favourite tailor was Joe Wildsmith his place was at the top end of Carver Street,all my mates had suits from him,two fittings and then collect the finished article!.Never had a problem always top notch service!.

9 minutes ago, old tup said:

I knew Ashley but never used his shop my favourite tailor was Joe Wildsmith his place was at the top end of Carver Street,all my mates had suits from him,two fittings and then collect the finished article!.Never had a problem always top notch service!.

I was in Ashley's class at school , he was always a well dressed lad . Miss him sitting in the shop chowing the rag , like Slinney he remembers every detail of our early days , They tell me things I forgot about a long time ago .

Edited by cuttsie

2 hours ago, cuttsie said:

I was in Ashley's class at school , he was always a well dressed lad . Miss him sitting in the shop chowing the rag , like Slinney he remembers every detail of our early days , They tell me things I forgot about a long time ago .

He spends a lot of his time in his place at Bergau in Portugal and goes in my Pal's bar there.

I haven't seen him since Corona started, before that he was over for Jevvy's Birthday do with his Son.

Hi George do you remember the tailor one of the lads brought in the red lion  .name Mervin Taylor  I had two suits of him  not great  think he got ripped of and did not come anymore. Albert fields once told me when he had the talbot pub  that flash guy on the Tv David Dickinson came in selling suit lengths he lost is sun glasses in pub and did not sell any suit lengths  I know one thing Albert would not buy any he only had the very best  very smart man and great guy 

12 minutes ago, Slinny said:

Hi George do you remember the tailor one of the lads brought in the red lion  .name Mervin Taylor  I had two suits of him  not great  think he got ripped of and did not come anymore. Albert fields once told me when he had the talbot pub  that flash guy on the Tv David Dickinson came in selling suit lengths he lost is sun glasses in pub and did not sell any suit lengths  I know one thing Albert would not buy any he only had the very best  very smart man and great guy 

If its the same bloke he came from Leeds , I had a suite of him around 1971 it was fawn like a cavalry twill  , one fitting in Leeds , crap suite gave it my old Pa who wore it all the time .

When I see those suites the David Bowie wore and where considered the hight of fashion it makes me laugh , we wore them years before in Sheffield . Red and Black checked , no collar and so on .

do  you remember John Spencer tailor , G