Who made your suits in the 60s

9 hours ago, oscar2157 said:

Had a couple of whistle.n.flutes from Barney.. and unless I missed it - not seen any mention of  'Ted Williams'...  London road /  Salmon street... I had my wedding day suit from them... 1974..  still like new - and donated it to charity,  April 2021.

Barney was expensive but Ted Williams you needed a mortgage , look in his window now you can buy a car on eBay cheaper .

On 18/10/2011 at 03:11, Kidorry said:

It was Spencers for me on Spital hill and then he had a shop on the Cliffe opposite Banners.Still got one of his suits 48 years on.

Where abouts on Spital Hill was  Spencer's ?

oWhere was Furness & Dukes  tailors, top of Howard Street ?

I thought that 1 opposite Banners was Burgess I had a suit from there had some great suits from a chap called Burrows he came to your home to measure you up he made wedding suit and my dad's and farther in law I don't now how many I had of him you could pay weekly 

8 hours ago, cuttsie said:

Barney was expensive but Ted Williams you needed a mortgage , look in his window now you can buy a car on eBay cheaper .

Gotcha'... yes , time marches on... and going back - I remember being told at 'Williams'.. about the rising cost..  '' the 'hundred' pound suit will soon be here ''   

15 minutes ago, oscar2157 said:

Gotcha'... yes , time marches on... and going back - I remember being told at 'Williams'.. about the rising cost..  '' the 'hundred' pound suit will soon be here ''   

I passed his window a few weeks ago and saw prices over a grand , He was never Sheffields top tailor bu no others left now 

16 hours ago, St Petre said:

Where abouts on Spital Hill was  Spencer's ?

oWhere was Furness & Dukes  tailors, top of Howard Street ?

It was opposite the junction of Spital hill and Carlisle Street. It was just pass the little lane where the tripe shop used too be.

Hi spencer had a shop in the wicker can you remember fairweather Peter street is son went in partnorship with Fred duke at lane top I had three made by him  

Being a 'regular' size in the '60s I used most of the well known men's high street tailors but on one occasion I went to M Corker on Ecclesall Road to have a suit made to measure. I'd forgotten his name until I came across it in Hillsbro's scan of ten years ago.

Thanks Hillsbro.

Unfortunately over the years all those suits of the '60s have  shrunk and have had to be disposed of, usually to charity shops.

The one treasured item I still have from that time, which I can still just about get into, is a suede jacket bought from C&A which matched the hipster trousers of the day. Oh the vagaries of youth and the dedication to be a  follower of fashion!

echo.

On 04/10/2021 at 08:47, Slinny said:

Hi spencer had a shop in the wicker can you remember fairweather Peter street is son went in partnorship with Fred duke at lane top I had three made by him  

I lived -until redevelopment in 1975- on Petre St (hence  St Petre) about 100 yds from Fairweather's tailors. There was two sons that worked there, I think one of the them was call Robert (Bob). I believe the older son also worked as a manager at the Locarno.

Hi John fairweathr started working from home also worked for tailor Leeds way my mate Albert fields had lots from him all very good very smart man , wish them days would come again  in 70s I sold a lot off good suits all by good tailors I started wearing 70s style suits  wish I never had go t shut off them then started all over again in 60s lots off smart lads George cutts Ron weatherhall  mick Kendall Neville Potts Walt depelage  David Marshall  Dennis Hobson and many more 

And you G, The smartest of the lot .

I had a mohair suit made by a tailor at the bottom of West Street in 1969. Got a Ben Sherman? shirt and tie to go with it from a shop on Chapel Walk.