Who made your suits in the 60s

Drainpipes with 16" bottoms? Sound more like bell bottoms. :)

It's all about shape.

16 on a 5.2 bloke with size 7 shoes would.

But 16 on a 6.5 guy with size 10 shoes?

fred erick,was on infermary rd.

I have a top coat ,(material by cromby,) that i still wear.coming up for 45years old

it had to be barney goodman who must have made half the suits in sheffield, my first ws from john collier, the window to watch, think it cost about 5 bob a week

Hi I had about six from Barney goodman the first january 63 paid 21 Guineas 3 piece 14ozs cloth smith and Wright second blue serge 16ozs double breasted had only one fitting thought that had sent me wrong  card but was told by a guy called tony that double breasted jackets were made in Leeds by a tailor called sim stankly who also used to have a shop down attercliffe   Best jacket I ever had ,of Barney ,then had two twist cloths made  good cloth sports coat and Reid and Taylor three piece ,barneys son Ralph had shop not for long called Karl bream. I went to mcleys went furnace and. duke author Wilson had three of Holden middle man ,not much good  I started buying my own cloth in 73 from Bradford I stiilhave lot of suits   Tailor I used for about ten but died about three years ago was mr darr staniforth road made me about 8 suits two overcoats there are not many left that wears suits but I still do 

l

Just one Barney left G, it still fits like a glove , My shoulders are that wide in it people step of pavement to let me pass , wear it now and then just for a laugh but some one always says "thats a Barney "

Just got back from Norfolk , hilarious today some foreign woman in drunk as a lord showing off . She asked for Whisky on the rocks , Imagine the comments .

Edited by cuttsie

Hi George u had some great suits remember just about them all from age of 15 the best I saw was light gray with lots of stripes I had to have one myself I saw three guys in them Ralph good man. Dennis Hobson and Pete Reid cann you remember Spencer’s two shops in wicker Percy Nixon back of travelers down moor broncss don’t know how to spell it before I went to barneys I went to conways west street  and wilfin and black division street shirts bray bro’thers  horns Austin reeds Cole brothers ne John Lewis shoes Most all Saxon Chelsea boots black brown and brown suede one pair John plants other small shoe shops in town ties Cole brothers ne lewis had wide stiff colours made at horns   Well good days 

That suit had a story , G , I saw one hung up ready for collection by Dennis Hobson , Barney told me the price which way out of my range , 

I looked around the shop but there was now't to touch it so walked  out. 

Barney was in his usual spot in the Pinstone  Street door way . I had gone around half a dozen steps when he tapped me on the shoulder and said ' " Come back in the shop "We went downstairs and he whispered a price nearly half of what he had quoted ten mins before and then said " What ever you do not tell any one else or my life will not be worth living " dread to think what he had charged Hobson  but it must have been a  good un .

Never seen a better cloth to this day .

Fred Lovett on Union Street also made a great suit , just as good as Barney without the name .

The shop was called Levy's 

Edited by cuttsie

Always went to Barney, Reid and Taylor cloth always kept it's shape, could never wear it out.

Help out please.

Got two good suits from the tailor at the corner of Wicker and Blonk Street, back in the late 50's.

Can't remember if it was Macklin's or Spencer's.

In the 60’s, all my suits were tailored by mothercare!

First suit at Burtons, corner of Middlewood Road and ?? another road where Regents Court flats are. 

Had a couple of whistle.n.flutes from Barney.. and unless I missed it - not seen any mention of  'Ted Williams'...  London road /  Salmon street... I had my wedding day suit from them... 1974..  still like new - and donated it to charity,  April 2021.