Who made your suits in the 60s

Never had a suit made for me. I've always been a regular sort of size and got stuff off the peg.

I'm too young (though not young) to have been thinking about suits in the 1960's.

A decade on, I bought my first suit from the SMC shop in Sheffield. It was green. I bought it to wear for my first job. They told me it wasn't "suitable". How could a "suit" not be "suitable"? I had to wear navy or grey.

I bought a navy one from C&A.

Nowadays I have a bit more brass. I've worn suits for work for the last 20 or so years. I've got Paul Smith, Armani and Boss suits in the wardrobe. I like Boss particularly because they seem to be made to measure for me. And they aren't stupid prices (like Armani or Versace). For under £500 you get a good quality well cut suit.

I bought a Versace suit in the sale at what used to be Cecil Gee (now the Boss shop in Meadowhall). The trousers were too big. I had them take some material out. I didn't realise at the time but they made a right mess of it. The result was the zipper at the front protruded so it looked like I was flying low! I ended up binning the suit after a few months as folk at work kept telling me my fly was undone!

It's still the same folks running that Boss store, or doing their tailoring, as far as I know. I would buy a suit from them again - but I'd never have it altered by them!

I like Louis Feraud,and have had a few from Barney G,found in charity shops.

My tailor was Winstons on Snig Hill, jeans and Tee shirts. Lewis Leathers for bike gear. After buying bikes there was nowt left for 'owt else. Once had a made to measure from Burtons, decent suit as well. Must have been late '60s.

Barney Goodman subcontracted to Leonard Black on Norfolk Row, probably to a few more other small tailors as well. Flash suits never did 'owt for me. These days NO suit would flatter my figure. Never mind the quality....................

Back in the good old days of the 60s you didn,t venture out for a drink or take your girl friend out without putting on your best suit!.You could go in any pub in town and every bloke was dressed like Simon Templar in hand made suits,3 piece,collar and tie plus shiny shoes not like the scruffy looking nerks you see nowadays!.I used to have mine made by Joe Wildsmith on Carver St.,3 fittings ,it cost £50 a suit,my pals and I had one made every 6 months.One time I went to Barney Goodmans but he padded the shoulders so much I looked like a barn door!.What tailor did you old timers go to and what did you pay?.:cool::hihi::D

My fella went to March the Tailors on the Moor. You could get whatever you wanted on chucky so I guess that was the attraction. Just as soon as he paid for one suit he ordered another.

Had my first suit made by Burtons, on corner of Middlewood Rd and Bradfield Rd. Then Hepworths. In the early 60's, if you worked at Barclays, 16" bottoms were considered drainpipes and unsuitable. I got away with 17". Daft really as 10 years later, flares were 22"+.

I used to buy my suits at Moss Bros, opposite the town hall but I got married in 1968 and could no longer afford to shop there.

Mike

Fred Burns:jetted pockets fingertip length jacket with link button, drainpipe trous with 16 inch bottoms, white socks, crepe soled shoes. Suit colour: powder blue; white shirt with cutaway collar and slim jim tie from Woolies - pick where you like at half a crown a time. Bet most readers think I'm from another planet.... maybe I am.

Fred Burns:jetted pockets fingertip length jacket with link button, drainpipe trous with 16 inch bottoms, white socks, crepe soled shoes. Suit colour: powder blue; white shirt with cutaway collar and slim jim tie from Woolies - pick where you like at half a crown a time. Bet most readers think I'm from another planet.... maybe I am.

I came from the same planet pal!.As a teenager I was a "Ted" also,powder blue drape jacket with minute gold and red dots in the material,velvet collar,cuffs and pocket flaps.16" trouser bottoms,two pair one black one red.Luminous socks ,pink,green and white,black crepe soled beetle crushers.Black shirt white tie,I remember the jacket cost £10 in 1958 from the tailor at the bridge on the Hillsborough side of Barrack Hill,I forget the name.After that outfit I toned it down a tad,same style but grey with black pinstripe,made to measure.Next style,Italian,shorter jacket,3 buttons same 16" trouser bottoms plus wincklepicker shoes,brown material with black check,all purchased at Burtons Hillsborough Corner,those were the days-Stones best bitter-rock and roll and bags of crumpet-take me back!!.:love::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Drainpipes with 16" bottoms? Sound more like bell bottoms. :)

Got mine from Oldens(think thats how you spell it)was it up Walkley or Crookes.£1 a week.Funny enough I still see his collector most weeks in Firth Park club.:rant:suspect:

Jim Hardie - don't forget I had to go home occasionally!

Old Tup -exactly the same material but mine was a suit. Weren't we the aces!

Good Luck.

Jim Hardie - don't forget I had to go home occasionally!

Old Tup -exactly the same material but mine was a suit. Weren't we the aces!

Good Luck.

Hi Pensionipper-bang on we were like peacocks in a drab world and the outfit certainly pulled the birds but on the flip side sometimes attracted trouble not of our own doing,jeolousy I suppose who knows?.:hihi::hihi::love: