Who made your suits in the 60s

Back in the good old days of the 60s you didn,t venture out for a drink or take your girl friend out without putting on your best suit!.You could go in any pub in town and every bloke was dressed like Simon Templar in hand made suits,3 piece,collar and tie plus shiny shoes not like the scruffy looking nerks you see nowadays!.I used to have mine made by Joe Wildsmith on Carver St.,3 fittings ,it cost £50 a suit,my pals and I had one made every 6 months.One time I went to Barney Goodmans but he padded the shoulders so much I looked like a barn door!.What tailor did you old timers go to and what did you pay?.:cool::hihi::D

Fred Erick,was on Infermary Rd.

I have a top coat ,(material by Cromby,) that I still wear.Coming up for 45years old

Back in the good old days of the 60s you didn't venture out for a drink or take your girl friend out without putting on your best suit!.You could go in any pub in town and every bloke was dressed like Simon Templar in hand made suits,3 piece,collar and tie plus shiny shoes not like the scruffy looking nerks you see nowadays!.I used to have mine made by Joe Wildsmith on Carver St.,3 fittings ,it cost £50 a suit,my pals and I had one made every 6 months.One time I went to Barney Goodmans but he padded the shoulders so much I looked like a barn door!.What tailor did you old timers go to and what did you pay?.:cool::hihi::D

Only Barney for me tup [needed the padding]

Just round the corner was Levy,s on Union St who,s cutter was called Fred and they were nearly as good as Barney Goodman.

Down the Moor was Isadore Newman but his style was not what the town lads wanted.

A lot of our mob used Mackley's on Corporation St ?.

But as said it was Barney who was the king, I remember one time i was in there and spied a suite that was ready for collection by one of Sheffield's hard men [still is at 70 odd years old] Barney told me i could not afford it, i walked out and had not gone 25 yards when he tapped me on the shoulder and told me to come back and get measured ,

When i had been measured Barney told me never to mention how much he had let me have that suite for or some one would have his guts for garters.

Best suite i ever had.

Barney's son used to lose hundreds of squid at snooker in Faulkners,what year did Goodmans close?I remember it in the early 70s.

Barney's son used to lose hundreds of squid at snooker in Faulkners,what year did Goodmans close?I remember it in the early 70s.

Ralph...............

Ralph Goodman didn,t need to walk far to lose money he just used to go four doors away down the Arcade and into the El Mambo then play the lads on the pinball machine,

I remember a Teddy Boy called Terry Allcock who used to win pounds of him.

Ralph Goodman didn,t need to walk far to lose money he just used to go four doors away down the Arcade and into the El Mambo then play the lads on the pinball machine,

I remember a Teddy Boy called Terry Allcock who used to win pounds of him.

Terry Allcock [Englegert Humperdink] was living in Birmingham the last I heard, his brother Larry was my neighbour.....

Edited by alex3659

Terry Allcock [Englegert Humberdink] was living in Birmingham the last I heard, his brother Larry was my neighbour.....

Thats him Alex, Big quiff on front D.A .to the rear.

Not now i suspect.

best suits i ever had made along with at least 2 or 3 fittings made by a tailor on Corporation street who,s name has slipped my mind (help please). I seem to think he was once employed by Barny Goodman but unsure.

Of course i also wore separate collars and studs freshly laundered at the Chinese laundry.

Used to buy normal type shirts from Winstons on Snig Hill.

I also got certain things from Hornes who i found to have quality gear.

nowadays i seem to be 100% casual, cannot remember the last time i wore a tie,it was probably at a funeral.

ps. forgot to mention the obligatory waistcoat. Always pronounced "WESCUT"

Edited by arrodbo
add to

best suits i ever had made along with at least 2 or 3 fittings made by a tailor on Corporation street who,s name has slipped my mind (help please). I seem to think he was once employed by Barny Goodman but unsure.

Of course i also wore separate collars and studs freshly laundered at the Chinese laundry.

Used to buy normal type shirts from Winstons on Snig Hill.

I also got certain things from Hornes who i found to have quality gear.

nowadays i seem to be 100% casual, cannot remember the last time i wore a tie,it was probably at a funeral.

I think the one on Corperation St was called Bill Mackley and he did work for Barney for a while.

Winstons on Snigg Hill also sold cardboard shirt collars they were a sod to put on and usualy ended up getting mucky from frequent attempts to fasten them.

After a night out your neck used to be red raw where the collar had dug in this would take about three days to go away. Fashion eh!

I have still got a shirt that i bought at Hornes its as good as new.

I think the one on Corperation St was called Bill Mackley and he did work for Barney for a while.

Winstons on Snigg Hill also sold cardboard shirt collars they were a sod to put on and usualy ended up getting mucky from frequent attempts to fasten them.

After a night out your neck used to be red raw where the collar had dug in this would take about three days to go away. Fashion eh!

I have still got a shirt that i bought at Hornes its as good as new.

Bill Mackley doesn,t sound quite right but nearly right if you know what i mean. I had forgotten about Winstons cardboard collars...thanks for the memories.