Curb Your Enthusiasm - Series 4

Curb Your Enthusiasm - Series 4 has just started on HBO in the States and having just watched it I'm happy to say that it is still the funniest thing on TV. Anyone else watch this programme? BBC4 has the rights to the first two series and they repeat it quite a lot so you should check it out if you can. It's written by and stars the co-creator of Seinfeld, Larry David.

For a minute then I thought you were talking about that new plastic surgeon show that's coming across here, but I guess not. So what's this about? How would you describe the show? I'm guessing it's a comedy? :P

Yep, it's a comedy. It is basically Larry David playing himself, and it just follows him around his life post Seinfeld. The other main characters are all actors, although there are numerous cameos from people such as Martin Scorsese, all playing themselves. Other than the Seinfeld-esque story lines, it is all improvised, and it's shot on DV cam to give it a fly-on-the-wall feel.

It's one of those shows that proves that the myth that Americans can't make intelligent comedy is utter rubbish. It's a real shame the BBC have stuck the show on BBC4 as it is easily as funny as stuff like The Office IMO.

This is one of the funniest things around at the moment. I loved the one where he was going away to the Jewish / Baptist wedding, lost his plane ticket, picked fights in the airport, ruined the Jewish to Christian baptism and then ended up with the Jews on one side of the reception and the Baptists on the other …. No wedding, just fighting.

Of course, the above will make absolutely no sense at all unless you saw it :D

I see that the pilot and the first series are now available on DVD.

Good news for CYE fans (That'll be just me and Tony by the looks of things!) the BBC have just secured the rights to series 3 and will be showing it in the autumn on BBC4.

Excellent :cool:

This is my second favourite US show. I love the "Doll" episode from Season 2.

It's a great show.

The Beloved Aunt episode from Series 1 is just painfully funny.

Another CYE fan here, brilliant consistent writing and fantastic characters.

why will the BBC not show it on BBC1 or 2 as some of us do not have access to cable/digital or freeview.

Originally posted by GHS1961

why will the BBC not show it on BBC1 or 2 as some of us do not have access to cable/digital or freeview.

I'm pretty sure they showed at least Series 1 on BBC 2, but only gave it the typical late-night treatment. The BBC seem clueless when it comes to scheduling American comedy: Seinfeld, Larry Sanders, The Simpsons - all were shunted around like the proverbial unwanted ginger stepchild.

In fact, the only American comedy show they seem to give any respect to is the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air :gag:

Originally posted by Greenback

In fact, the only American comedy show they (the BBC) seem to give any respect to is the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air :gag:

He'd pop a cap in their ass if they didn't

:hihi:

I'm a CYE fan too, but haven't seen much of it unfortunately, the episode were he befriends the unfaithful rapper was class though.