Be Careful - St Mary's Gate Crossing

I wonder if anyone can help...

A couple of weeks ago I was on foot crossing St Mary's Gate (on a green man) and was nearly run over by a taxi who was coming from London Road and had turned right onto the dual carriageway.

I thought it was pretty clear as a motorist that you aren't allowed to do this but then again this morning the same thing happened with a black cab. I had obviously learnt from the last time and looked behind me before crossing but

does anyone know who the best dept of the council is to tell about this? I'm just worried that someone is going to get run over if this short cut isn't stopped.

if they were specifically black cabs, you could contact taxi licensing at the council for some advice.

however, without reg numbers/taxi license numbers i dont know that they would be able to do anything to the specific drivers, nor even be able to refer it to the relevant body if they were unable to take any action.

x

http://g.co/maps/99b6k

Taxi's and buses can turn right from LR onto SMG.

If you've got a green man though then they've run a red light.

If you move in a little further on street view, then zoom in on the light, it seems that the "green" is in fact a straight ahead arrow. Also, there is a blue and white straight ahead arrow. However, there doesn't appear to be a "no right turn" sign. I wonder if the intention is for buses and taxis to go straight ahead towards the bottom of the Moor?

Eek I do hope that isn't the case

Surely they can't go right, else why would there be a green man for pedestrians whilst buses and taxis are crossing St Mary's Gate to go into town?

Eek I do hope that isn't the case

Surely they can't go right, else why would there be a green man for pedestrians whilst buses and taxis are crossing St Mary's Gate to go into town?

I think you are right. Those turning right seem to either be ignoring the road signs or maybe have just moved so far across the junction (in crossing the northbound carriageway of SMG) that they have forgotten the original instruction. Either way, something is clearly amiss if drivers are turning when the green man is showing for pedestrians.

Edit. ...and you are right to contact the Council, although I don't know who. Maybe they could add extra signing if some people are confused by the current signs. Maybe some no right turn signs at the original lights and at the central reservation on SMG, and/or possibly some straight ahead arrows on the road

Edited by Eater Sundae

There isn't a "No Right Turn" sign but there is a straight ahead only arrow. It seems likely that the taxi drivers are either ignoring the sign or assuming it only applies to the other side of the road where you would be turning in to oncoming traffic. It sounds like the Green Man is probably on even when the lights are on green for Taxis/Busses/Bikes to go straight across the junction. This would be fine if the instructions were followed correctly.

Definitely an illegal manouvre and its being done by taxi drivers who are trying to save a few seconds rather than drive up to Moore Street roundabout and back down St Marys on the way back to the railway station etc.

Id suggest if it happens again take down details of the cab,the cab license number is useually on the boot and will be easier to recall than the actual reg.

I`d also ask SYP if they are aware of it happening.

Thanks for your replies and suggestions which I will take up. I did have a near miss the other week and it gave me and others around (who were lovely by the way) quite a shock.

I just wanted to let people know if, like me, you have taken this route every day and hadn't thought to be extra vigilant. I'm sure it's just a coincidence that this has happened to me twice in quite quick succession but I really don't want any one to be actually hurt ;)

There are traffic cameras at the roundabouts both sides of here (ie Moore St and Bramall Lane) - I wonder if they can be zoomed to see if this is regular problem, or if jacwelina has just been unlucky - twice.

No they can't. It is ahead only. The green traffic light signal coincides with the green crossing lights.

And taxis wanting to go straight across usually get shirty with any car driver in the bus lane trying to turn right

Usually they go straight across and then U-turn immediately after the junction, then take the left lane, to accomplish the same thing

I have seen cars (not just taxis) turn right across pedestrians but to be honest, it's very rare (I cross that junction nearly every day), I did see it more often in the busy Xmas period - the last one almost took out an elderly cyclist proceeding quite legally across the road junction

Edited by Squiggs

I wonder if anyone can help...

A couple of weeks ago I was on foot crossing St Mary's Gate (on a green man) and was nearly run over by a taxi who was coming from London Road and had turned right onto the dual carriageway.

I thought it was pretty clear as a motorist that you aren't allowed to do this but then again this morning the same thing happened with a black cab. I had obviously learnt from the last time and looked behind me before crossing but

does anyone know who the best dept of the council is to tell about this? I'm just worried that someone is going to get run over if this short cut isn't stopped.

It isn't really the Council you need to contact if you want action, they can't enforce banned turns.

You need to report this directly to South Yorkshire Police.