Lets put Islam and the west's relationship into some real context.

A friend of mine once said the faith is perfect but it's followers are flawed. I think this sums up all religion nicely.

Except as a 'man-made' concept, religion is actually defined as a collection of its followers!

Once the last follower stops believing, the religion ceases to exist. ;)

John X

I suggest you refer to post 236 and the post I replied to.

To which I pointed out it wasn't txt spk.

to which you responded with "Txt spk are usually abbreviations too."

At which point I asked "Do you object to the use of xmas being posted to mean christmas on here, only not seen you rant on any thread where xmas is used?"

Followed by "Do you feel the same way about the RAM in your PC, or the GFX card that is driving your VDU, or the NIC/USB that connects you to the WWW?"

Which clearly shows many abbreviations that are not txt spk, as you claimed.

So I'll ask the question again (in a slightly different manner):

Do you class the following as txt spk too?

RAM, PC, GFX, VDU, NIC, SUB, WWW, THE WEB/NET, AC, DC, AMD, ATI, AA, A & E .... ? Or is it only certain abbreviations such as xtian, xmas that you class as txt spk?

To which I pointed out it wasn't txt spk.

to which you responded with "Txt spk are usually abbreviations too."

This is what you said:

Probably 'cause it's shorter and means the same?

so I said:

So is text speak, but it's not allowed on here.

Which is true.

As you can see, I did not claim that xtian is text speak.

At which point I asked "Do you object to the use of xmas being posted to mean christmas on here, only not seen you rant on any thread where xmas is used?"

You've not looked hard enough then.

Followed by "Do you feel the same way about the RAM in your PC, or the GFX card that is driving your VDU, or the NIC/USB that connects you to the WWW?"

Which clearly shows many abbreviations that are not txt spk, as you claimed.

Where did I claim that then? :huh:

So I'll ask the question again (in a slightly different manner):

Do you class the following as txt spk too?

RAM, PC, GFX, VDU, NIC, SUB, WWW, THE WEB/NET, AC, DC, AMD, ATI, AA, A & E .... ? Or is it only certain abbreviations such as xtian, xmas that you class as txt spk?

No, but I have not claimed any of those are text speak. :huh:

I was pointing out that whilst some simple abbreviations are permitted, others are not simply because they originate from the use of mobile devices.

Edited by mj.scuba

Catholicism adapt? On which issues? Women priests? Abortion? Birth control and HIV/AIDS? Homosexuality? Child abuse by priests? Galileo? (The Vatican reneged on a promise to erect a statue of him a couple of years ago). It would be hard to find an organisation less likely to be flexible than the Catholic Church. It's more old-fashioned than the dinosaurs that its teachings imply could never have existed.

You have missed the point completely and utterly.

Try looking at the wood and not the trees.

Yeah and John X will have to change his name
What to Malcolm?

You have missed the point completely and utterly.

Try looking at the wood and not the trees.

Could you elaborate instead of resorting to meaningless cliches. What point have I missed? Which wood and which trees should I look at or not look at? I gave concrete examples about the Vatican's refusal to adapt to modernity i.e. most things since the Reformation. Please tell me how I am wrong about abortion, HIV/AIDS, women priests, paedophila, etc, and please give concrete examples of the Vatican's flexibility on whatever social issues you care to name.

Holds breath 1 2 3 4 5 huuurrrgh

Could you elaborate instead of resorting to meaningless cliches. What point have I missed? Which wood and which trees should I look at or not look at? I gave concrete examples about the Vatican's refusal to adapt to modernity i.e. most things since the Reformation. Please tell me how I am wrong about abortion, HIV/AIDS, women priests, paedophila, etc, and please give concrete examples of the Vatican's flexibility on whatever social issues you care to name.

Holds breath 1 2 3 4 5 huuurrrgh

So they still hold the inquisition do they.

The major thing you're missing is that the RC church no longer has political power whereas in many countries Islam overules the law of the land and can and does overturn civil/criminal judgements, a mulsim court can and does sentnce people to death and other forms of disgusting punishments.

BTW how are you on wife beating, does the RC church condone that?

Edited by Bassman62

So is text speak, but it's not allowed on here. :|

Txt spk are usually abbreviations too.

Looks to me as though you are saying that abbreviations aren't allowed here. :D

John X

So they still hold the inquisition do they.

The major thing you're missing is that the RC church no longer has political power whereas in many countries Islam overules the law of the land and can and does overturn civil/criminal judgements, a mulsim court can and does sentnce people to death and other forms of disgusting punishments.

BTW how are you on wife beating, does the RC church condone that?

The Catholic Church has no power? How many catholic countries have abortion, for example? Also, could you name the Islamic countries where Islam overules the law of the land. The problem with you Islamophobes is that you generalise but rarely give specifics. As for specific examples of countries that sentence people to death I can think of the USA, China, Zimbabwe, India and Belarus. Could you let us know know how many of them are Islamic?