IOS 5 Released Today

That seems to be a blatent copy from android.

This point - about notifications - is acknowledged in this previously-mentioned review ("Notification Center and Lock Screen") and is considered to be an improvement.

Just to add, my iPads battery is lasting much longer running iOS 5.

After a few days running IOS5 on my 3GS and I think my phone's battery life has actually improved as well.

I'm not sure if I can fully comprehend what my battery level is telling me, I have become so used to battery performance getting much worse with each update that it seems a little unreal.

I recall many 3G users complaining that their phones had been killed with a previous update (IOS4?), and I was expecting it to happen to me this time.

iPad running iOS 5 jailbroken, took all of 30 mins too.

Some very nice changes in the new software, nice little things you had to jailbreak or download apps to get.

I take it you've had to use RedSnow?

Upgraded last night (iPad 1), immediately jailbroken with latest RedSnow - very easy.

Tethered not really a problem on iPad as the battery life is so good.

I'm not massively impressed with the new features so far - notifications will be nice - I guess iMessage is a good idea too, but I already have GTalk for that.....

I updated my sister's iPhone 3GS and mine yesterday. (I was expecting to update her daughter's iPod touch but that turned out to be a second generation model and so could not be.) It was fairly pain-free - not least since the demand on the servers had dwindled from the madness on day one - though doing hers on an Advent 7088 with very little memory and running Windows XP was like watching paint dry. The small amount of pain came in two forms.

First of all during the restore phase of my sister's it reported an error about the backup (taken earlier in the process) not being valid - the exact wording I forget - but on trying again it succeeded.

Secondly - and I expect this would have been experienced by all - was the need to Sync the contents of the related iTunes library - i.e. putting the content back onto the iPhone.

I set up iCloud on my sister's (getting her to log in as her credentials should be known to her alone) but as a MobileMe subscriber I'm waiting for the issues here to be resolved before signing up for that.

I've yet to have much of a play with the new features and will air my views when I've had chance.

Apple have provided a comprehensive manual (including iOS 5 features) for each device here...

...with useful feature-specific guides, et cetera, being available by entering "iOS 5" into the search box top right here.

Not that anyone will use them but at least there's a post here to which lazy buggers can be referred.

Edited by HarryBustard

I take it you've had to use RedSnow?

Redsn0w 0.9.0.6b I think, well latest. It's in tethered mode with my display out mod and magic mouse and keyboard mod too. That's all I want it jail broken for , kinda turn it into a tablet come home pc to a larger screen in 720p via hdmi.

But I had a iOS bug !!!!!!!

I was trying to connect to the net via wifi, wifi was on but iOS was saying no turn it on. So I then went to setting to find they had gone, setting either crashed out or I got the grey box no text.

Right I'll reboot this I thought which I did and that was it dead. I fired up iTunes dfu the iPad and it started to reinstall iOS 5, it started loading and then was ejected from iTunes and error 1605 displayed. The iPad had load bar still on it and then that was it bricked state thanks to iTunes .

I took it down to apple in meadow hall and they dropped it on the laptop and fixed it in 10mins. The guy said it had crashed due to corruption in the opperating system from a bad downloaded iOS.

Redsn0w 0.9.0.6b I think, well latest. It's in tethered mode with my display out mod and magic mouse and keyboard mod too. That's all I want it jail broken for , kinda turn it into a tablet come home pc to a larger screen in 720p via hdmi.

what cable and mod do you use for that?

what cable and mod do you use for that?

You need the hdmi adapter from apple which charges and puts hdmi into, this costs £35.

Apple will only let you view video via the lead unless you have an iPad 2 which mirrors what you see on the pad to the tv.

You jailbreak go to cydia store and buy display out for $1.99 which then enables mirror on iPad and iPhone. iPhone 4 supports upto 1080p and iPad 1 720p. I've tried both and they work on iOS 5.