Getting the running bug?

In the past 7 months or so I've gone from not being able to run for 5 mins and weighing 18 stone to now weighing 16 stone and just done the great yorkshire run in 1hour 3mins :).

I'm starting to get the running bug and want to start doing races on a slightly more regular basis rather than waiting until next year to break 1 hour for a 10km race.

Does anyone know of any 10km races coming up that aren't too far away and also not too hilly (want to get under 1 hour). I have looked at the TenTenTen but not keen on the whole off road side of it!

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks

Look at North Derbyshire Running Club who do the Bolsover Castle 10k. It`s pretty good and has a downhill last k or so.

Also worth looking at Runners World website. They list events there. Also there`s a Clubhouse forum in there where there is a Sheffield Social thread. Lots of enthusiastic characters there (and a few odd uns!!!) and useful to get info on local races.

Why not join a running club? Most openly accept runners of all abilities and i'm sure they'll bring the best out of you!

Barnsley 10k isnt bad - a couple of hills but nothing as unfriendly as the end of the GYR.

I started out much the same as you, started running in July last year training for the GYR then started training for the Sheffield Half Marathon this year (May - didn't run it in the end, bust my ribs falling over my son would you believe !!). I was 18 and a half stone and by March this year was just over 13. It definitely helps to have something to train for though - regular 10k's through the year are great for keeping you focussed but not so long or intense that you stop enjoying it !

Good luck with the running !!

runs available every Tuesday and Thursday at Don Valley 6pm meet behind reception , lots of people training for Sheffield half marathon .

Thanks for all the replies guys

I think the Worksop half is a bit too far right now - Hoping for the Sheffield half 2012 though! :) - Nick is that group part of a running club or for anyone? and What kind of pace do you guys run at?

Thanks

The Group is part of Sheffield running club , at least three groups every Tuesday all running at different paces. Tonight we had a 7min 30s per mile paced group, an 8.30min per mile paced group and a 9min.30sec paced group.

we also had a slower intro group , very informal but everyone wanting to improve visit http://www.sheffieldrunningclub.co.uk or just turn up.