Great Yorkshire run

Just out of interest, do the race organisers or runners pay for the excessive policing that I saw today? I never saw the point of running..... 8000 competitors with only 1 winner, that makes 7999 people who lost!

I'm sure the £25 entrance fee covered all the policing and other costs, and what about all the charities that gained thousands of pounds each?

I didn't do it for that very reason. It's far, far too expensive for a 10k.

I know lots of seasoned runners who didn't enter it for this reason. I did the Dronfield 10k which was £12, the Chatsworth one which was around £17 (I think). Am doing the Worksop half in a couple of weeks which is £19. Percy Pud is £13, half the price (almost). Ok so not so many road closures, but even so . . . .

Boo-hoo, Mr Toad couldn't poop-poop his brum-brum for a day..diddums

There have been road signs up around the city for well over a week and matrix signs letting drivers know of the event and it was on Hallam FM informing people that there would be disruptions. I have been diverted during other events and have not minded as the delay has been so minimal.

I ran today and to have people running along the route on pavements has to be the most ridiculous idea I have heard all day! :loopy: ! How will 8,000 runners fit on to the pavement and complete the run in a competitive time whilst trying not to be injured by motorists driving along the roads and without getting in the way of pedestrians?

The roads we mostly opened from 1400hrs onwards, the race brought from what I saw a lot of interest to Sheffield so for those that were inconvenienced by the road closures perhaps should pay greater attention to the numerous temporary road signs and radio broadcasts and leave a little earlier.

To those who ran....well done on a great effort.....and thank you.....my grandson who up till now has shown no interest in any type of sport now wants to run a junior race next year.

To those who ran....well done on a great effort.....and thank you.....my grandson who up till now has shown no interest in any type of sport now wants to run a junior race next year.

Thats what I like about these races. I know of people who are working hard to improve their fitness and loose weight and use this race as a challange to prove to themselves how well they have done. It is a great run to get involved with if you do not have any experience and want to get some miles under your belt.

Why has sheffield been closed down for this race? I'm not amused i would like to get home some time today ! its ridiculous i'm pretty sure we have a racetrack somewhere ! sheffield is bad enough to drive around at the best of times, i am registering my discust about this whole affair

Due to this forum being family friendly, I can't really put what I would like to, so I'll just say "ahhh diddums"

Pathetic!!

To the runners, well done to you all, I am very proud of you

It amuses me as well that the OP wants to register their "discust", where there were 8,000 + who are in full support of the event. There are worse things in life to be worried about. The fact that a few city centre, and periphery, roads were closed is nothing to be getting worried about.

Its not FAIR Its not FAIR Its not FAIR Its not FAIR Its not FAIR Its not FAIR Its not FAIR Its not FAIR Its not FAIR

And I'll thcweam and I'll thcweam until I make mythelph thick!

Bless his little cotton running socks

Ha ha this thread made me laugh! I ran today and took me 57 minutes, I dont mind paying the entrance fee cos a) it kept me motivated to keep fit and b) for the atmosphere. But I dont get how its an inconvenience for one morning of the year. Sounds like you need to take part next year to avoid this problem ;-)

I'm sure the £25 entrance fee covered all the policing and other costs, and what about all the charities that gained thousands of pounds each?

Thanks for the slightly patronising answer, but are you sure? Is there anyway of checking? :hihi: What about the charities that gained? Wouldn't they have gained more if everyone just gave the £25 straight to them without having to hire lots of staff to man an event? :hihi:

Will nobody think of the charities!!!

Edited by Macbeth

next time they sould run round, donvalley stadium and leave people of sheffield alone!