4th shooting in Sheffield this week

Originally posted by Mo

You also said...............

and it's that bit that I find alarming. Why do we have to live with it?

'cos no one can stop it.there is no full stop solution. it is physically impossible to stop guns entering the UK and anyone who thinks different had better pop to the Drs. for a reality check.

Originally posted by Mo

You also said...............

and it's that bit that I find alarming. Why do we have to live with it?

Because of the 'americanisation' (is that right? :confused: ) and gang culture from sections of the younger population. Its down to society, Government can legislate to a degree but there is only so much the authorities can do.

Good luck if you can come up with a quick-fix solution. Let me know when you do ..............

Being a 'safe' city is one of Sheffield's few plus points compared with other major cities so it loses that reputation at its peril.

I say we gridlock the roads more to stop them moving round.

Originally posted by goose

Lets not start panicking just because of four unrelated shootings. Its all part of the growing gun culture in the UK and something we are going to have to live with im afraid.

You are kidding right ?

Gun crime is just another part of modern city centre life. The chances of it happening are very small, and it's wise not to get carried away with typical media scare stories.

I wouldn't like to get shot, but I also wouldn't like to get ran over, mugged, attacked by some drunken fight addict or have my pocket picked. All these things have a (very small) associated risk. There is a risk associated with walking out of your front door in the morning. I'm not going to spend my time worrying about something that's very unlikely to happen to me. :)

because the government is more interested in scoring politic points by banning the legal ownership of handguns than tackling the difficult problems of illegal ownership.

What political points is it scoring? I didn't think they were banning the legal ownership.

IMO all guns should be banned. And anyone found with a gun should be shot

Daley ;-

But , surely , it's precisely your attitude to it , that makes it all the more likely it gets worse ,i.e.

" Oh , well , the chances of getting shot are quite small [ oh good ! ] and the chances of getting mugged or beaten up are not very great ........it's always happened..........there's not much we can do about it ..........it's much worse in some countries ...........etc.........."

I bet people in Germany in 1930 were saying , " Oh this Hitler bloke won't ever come to power ........there's not much we can do about it ........the chances of getting beaten up by Nazi thugs is so small .......even if they get power , you're very unlikely to end up in a concentration camp .........it's a lot worse in some other countries ......now , where's that comic I was reading ? "

Fareast, your talking rubbish.

It is easier to get a gun in the UK than it used to be, therefore gun crime is on the increase. Nobody is saying lets not do anything about it, just don't stay awake at night worrying about it.

The internet, mobile phones and general globalistaion make everything more accessable, the increase in gun crime is inevitable. This dosent mean we should do nothing to combat it.

Goose

I didn't say we needed to lie awake worrying about it but , by the same token , it doesn't seem sensible either to be complacent about the crime situation , as I think a lot of people are .

As soon as one mentions that a few decades ago , we had a fairly crime-free society , vis-a -vis today , a lot of S.F. posters , immediately start comparing us with New York or Nottingham , or somewhere . They never compare us with a nice , quiet city !Strange that !

Obviously , only a moron would fail to see that getting guns is fairly easy these days . Is that the sole reason for the increase in gun crime do you reckon ? If so , why didn't we have a terrific surge of gun-crime just after the war when many were illegally brought back from Europe ? Why don't places like Switzerland and certain states in America have massive gun -related murder rates , despite the high gun ownership .

I think if you bothered to go into it a little deeper , you'd find that gun-ownership has very little direct relevance to rates of crime . It's the propensity of the population to use them that's the problem . However , the first step is to recognise that there IS a problem with crime in Britain and the willingness of certain groups to use guns and I maintain that a lot of people refuse to recognise the fact ---------for their own unfathomable reasons [? ]

Originally posted by Fareast

Goose

I didn't say we needed to lie awake worrying about it but , by the same token , it doesn't seem sensible either to be complacent about the crime situation , as I think a lot of people are .

As soon as one mentions that a few decades ago , we had a fairly crime-free society , vis-a -vis today , a lot of S.F. posters , immediately start comparing us with New York or Nottingham , or somewhere . They never compare us with a nice , quiet city !Strange that !

Obviously , only a moron would fail to see that getting guns is fairly easy these days . Is that the sole reason for the increase in gun crime do you reckon ? If so , why didn't we have a terrific surge of gun-crime just after the war when many were illegally brought back from Europe ? Why don't places like Switzerland and certain states in America have massive gun -related murder rates , despite the high gun ownership .

I think if you bothered to go into it a little deeper , you'd find that gun-ownership has very little direct relevance to rates of crime . It's the propensity of the population to use them that's the problem . However , the first step is to recognise that there IS a problem with crime in Britain and the willingness of certain groups to use guns and I maintain that a lot of people refuse to recognise the fact ---------for their own unfathomable reasons [? ]

First of all, have you got any figures to prove that crime was lower a few decades ago than it is now? People always tend to look back to the past with rose-tinted glasses. Couple this with the constant claim by the tabloids that society is getting worse.

Admittedly this does stem from my complete and utter contempt for FDU tabloid journalism. I find it unbelievably frustrating that in an age where we have complete freedom of the press, so many of them take the cheap and easy "fear" route as opposed to doing some responsible, rational journalism.

I refuse to let myself be manipulated by relentless scare-mongering, and I'm not going to spend my life jumping at shadows because of some highly unlikely threat. People spend so much time being afraid of things that they're forgetting to live.

Originally posted by dill

because the government is more interested in scoring politic points by banning the legal ownership of handguns than tackling the difficult problems of illegal ownership.

What political points is it scoring? I didn't think they were banning the legal ownership.

IMO all guns should be banned. And anyone found with a gun should be shot

ermm, maybe you missed it when they banned the legal ownership of pretty much all firearms several years ago at an associated cost of millions of pounds and with absolutely no effect on the level of gun crime.