The rhino whip affair.

Yeah, it could've been Ron. I knew him from playing rugby at school and believe me he was a rough piece of work back then.

Hunter House Road comes to mind and a punch bag in the backyard.

Hunter House Road comes to mind and a punch bag in the backyard.

Thats Weathers.

I'm amazed no one can remember how the story broke. I first read about it in the 'Star'.

It appears one of the Hartley bro's was released from custody following a night spent in West Bar Green being knocked about and being used as a whipping top. He hung around until the 'Star' offices opened their doors and then asked to see the chief. When eventually gaining his audience he proceeded to show the bruises and other wounds he'd sustained during his overnight stay with the police.

The story got into the national newspapers and eventually a parody of it on 'That Was The Week That Was'.

I remember a short time afterwards standing at the bar at the 'Locarno' talking to a guy called Ray Wetherall. A big lad, moustache, built like the well known 'brick sh******se. Another guy came up to the bar near us and Ray immediatly made his way over to him and engaged him in conversation. The second guy was one of the police who had been knocking the Hartleys around and Ray wanted to take him outside. It didn't happen, at least, not then.

Streets worked as a bouncer/doorman at the Locarno around '63/64.

That's right, so he did. I'd forgotten that.

Streets had a brother who was also a Sheffield cop, worked on the traffic division.

Streets had a brother who was also a Sheffield cop, worked on the traffic division.
was he a bent copper too? it seems they are not as rare as some people think:suspect:

No, and I dont think that those convicted of whacking the two "heroes" were "bent" just a little over enthusiastic.

was he a bent copper too? it seems they are not as rare as some people think:suspect:

No, and I dont think that those convicted of whacking the two "heroes" were "bent" just a little over enthusiastic.
depends on how you term bent ? not very good pillars of society thou were they . glad to see they were dealt with accordingly

The police man who whacked the newspaper seller in London was over enthusiastic and the lad died .

When you are in a position of power you have to be carefull who you whack as it may come back and bite you on the bum.

The newspaper seller was ratarsed and had a heart condition. He was master of his own destiny, if you go looking for trouble in that condition you may get more than you expect.

The police man who whacked the newspaper seller in London was over enthusiastic and the lad died .

When you are in a position of power you have to be carefull who you whack as it may come back and bite you on the bum.

The newspaper seller was ratarsed and had a heart condition. He was master of his own destiny, if you go looking for trouble in that condition you may get more than you expect.

And what trouble was he looking for.

Since when has having a drink been a crime.

I wasnt there but from what I saw on the telly, he tried to pass through a Police line and was refused access, he refused to do as he was told and got a shove. He was drunk, (his responsibility) had a heart condition ( he knew, the copper didnt) he died. His fault, master of his own destiny.

Quite was this has to do with the those pillars of society who got a bit of a livener in the Rhino Whip enquiry I dont know.

And what trouble was he looking for.

Since when has having a drink been a crime.