Oaps having to clear the landings outside their flats

Is it true that pensioners are being made to clear away all decorations on the landings of their flats?

That doesn't make sense, please expand a little so we know what you are talking about ie which flats / decorations etc etc :)

If you live in a council flat you are not allowed any carpets, plants etc on the landings due to fire regulations! We are leaving ours until we are told to move them. Will look like we live in an institution :(

Will look like we live in an institution :(

You do .....

Is it true that pensioners are being made to clear away all decorations on the landings of their flats?

It wont be directed at pensioners it'll relate to all occupants

If you live in a council flat you are not allowed any carpets, plants etc on the landings due to fire regulations! We are leaving ours until we are told to move them. Will look like we live in an institution :(

I should think not as they are communal areas aren't they, you choose to live there so 'hard as it is' you have to abide by the rules I'm afraid :)

Yes it is true. Happening to my mother-in-law's flat. Don't have a problem if it is deemed a fire hazard but unfortunately where the carpets have been ripped up by the Council the tiles and flooring underneath have some serious damage to them. Some serious tripping hazards especially when the lights break and they don't get fixed for weeks.

These new fire regs are a joke.

More box ticking and red tape for the sake of it.

One of my neighbours who lives in a small block of flats spent years cultivating the most amazing plants and flowers then shed place them in pots on her landing for all to see.

Now she cant do it and she is very, very upset about it all.

All of her neighbours are angry at the fact shes been made to do this too.

In an age where people blame everything on someone else and claim for fun its likely that councils are covering their backs to avoid such an event. Hallways are not extensions to property in the same way that pavements aren't. It may well look pretty but its in the way.

In an age where people blame everything on someone else and claim for fun its likely that councils are covering their backs to avoid such an event. Hallways are not extensions to property in the same way that pavements aren't. It may well look pretty but its in the way.

Yeh I get that Murphy Jnr but who is now going to repair the damage they have caused by tearing up the carpets that someone glued down years before my In-Laws moved in? I fear that the tripping hazard far outweighs the fire hazard at the present time. Some holes in the concrete are over an inch deep.

Yeh I get that Murphy Jnr but who is now going to repair the damage they have caused by tearing up the carpets that someone glued down years before my In-Laws moved in? I fear that the tripping hazard far outweighs the fire hazard at the present time. Some holes in the concrete are over an inch deep.

I have no idea. If it's council property then whoever it may concern.

i live in a flat and i havent heard anything about this TBH. But we dont have carpets in our communal area anyway. But i noticed that someone (possibly the council) had been out and mopped the communal area as it stunk like some sort of toxic bleach when i arrived home from work. :D was very nice of them