Advice regarding a cat having litter tray accidents

Hi all

I am really looking for some advice please.

We have had our cat Piglet just over 6 years now (adopted her as a kitten from RSPCA) and she is a house cat.

Our daughter was born last year and is now 17 months old.

For approx 4-5 months Piglet has been pooing in the hallway (which is where her litter tray is). This happens at least every other day (has happened 3 times today) and I really don't know what to do. She is doing her business either in the litter tray or two other places in the hallway. She has her accidents even when though her litter tray is always clean.

Has anyone else experienced this please?

We did think that perhaps it was jealousy because of our daughter? But, to be honest I don't think it is (but could be wrong). We always make sure that we give her lots of attention and always have especially since our daughter was born. Our daughter doesn't have much to do with our cat as she (the cat) is mostly asleep in the day and then awake when daughter is in bed!

I am getting myself so worried in case my daughter ever gets into the hallway before us etc and Piglet has had an accident.

Anyone advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

can you stop her getting into the hallway? move her tray somewhere else? in my experience they tend to poo where they smell poo so she probably had a bit of an accident (missed the tray) one time now can smell it on the carpet/floor so thinks it's ok to do it there? our cats have never had a litter tray from being kittens - but if its raining our buster will sneak upstairs and poo in the BATH!!! he did this on about five occasions last winter so we now have a door stop to the stairs door so he's no chance of going back there! he's not done one anywhere else in the house since so it does work

I had a foster cat who did this, we took him to the vets and the vet said it was unlikely to be territorial behavior, he had an antibiotic injection and a course of tablets, the problem stopped as soon as he got back home from the vets.

He would go on the floor when the tray was clean and it would often be loose, the same as your cat.

Thank you, it would be difficult to move the litter tray as having a small child I don't want it in her reach and at least in the hallway I can keep the room door closed. But, I totally understand what you mean. Piglet is currently laid next to me purring her little head off - they so know how to push our buttons don't they ;-)

Forgot to mention that I did phone the vets when it first started happening and they thought it was probably jealousy and to but a plug in that releases some kind of hormone that would calm her???

I wonder if there is something wrong with her doing 3 poos a day as my cat only has 1 poo a day !

Never tried feliway but I am sure someone will have on here. Is she wormed ?