Dog needs a vet but cant afford £120

in an ideal world you are right but it's not an ideal world, you can't seriously say that anyone with les than 2 thousand pound to spare shouldn't keep a dog. /QUOTE]

In an ideal world it wouldn't cost silly amounts to put things right.

I think it's easy to put figures down all the time you have the means to afford it. I'm with the concensus here. So long as you can afford the basics for your pet then there's no reason to not have one. Basing ownership on the premise that something might go wrong would create a bigger problem than we have already.

I find the whole picture rather disturbing as Vet bills and Insurance costs seem to go hand in hand now and why pet insurance can't operate a No Claims Bonus i don't know.

Very harsh. We had vet's bills of £800 last year. It nearly broke us. What should we do, put all our animals down in case it happens again?

Try spending a few years taking the required degree course to become a qualified vet.

After that, a good few grand on the equipment required to operate, buildings, insurance and so on.

The you could realise they earn their money as opposed to make prices up so you can have a moan on a forum.

Non-thinkers are as common as dog poo in the street.

Try spending a few years taking the required degree course to become a qualified vet.

After that, a good few grand on the equipment required to operate, buildings, insurance and so on.

The you could realise they earn their money as opposed to make prices up so you can have a moan on a forum.

Non-thinkers are as common as dog poo in the street.

Care to break that down for us - you sound like you are speaking from experience? It's only in the last 18 months that vet bills have soared (certainly in my experience). I would be very interested to see the breakdown and justitification for today's prices.

OP - glad your dog is okay and they let you pay in installments!!

why is it when someone like iphonelover & such like

come on here asking for advise ( not criticism )

it always gets someone turn it into a dig at them

yes ok maybe we should all have x amount of pounds

in the bank but we don't & not everyone can have their

pets insured but that doesn't make them uncaring &

unloving pet owners if we all thought like that no animals

would have homes only the rich would have them

& if you have x amount of pounds saved for your pet/s

then good for you but don't make others feel less adequate

because they don't because that's what your doing !!!

We're all guilty of that offence or will be!

Iphonelover well done, oh there are some stupid people on here.Who could they be I have 2 rescues and another 5 which 3 have needed long term vet care result -£3000, I'm just doing extra work when I can like you do.Please don't start telling me I shouldn't have my pets either!

she is affording it, she's going to have to find the money but £120 plus emergency vet fees is very hard to find on the average wage - well on any wage it is.

I think its disgraceful that people have to find this sort of money for their pets - and when the PDSA was set up it was to help PETS IN NEED - not just PETS IN NEED WITH OWNERS WHO ARE ON MINIMUM MONEY.

Its somehow lost its way I think.

No doubt the owner is worried enough without someone slating her for worrying about where the next £120 is going to come from. This is why many pets are thrown out and even worse left to die at home in agony - people genuinely can't afford these sort of bills but offer a good home to a pet.

Sorry - but I think vet fees have gone stupid.

But how would the PDSA ever assess everyone who turned up? People would take the pee if it wasn't limited to those on benefits who can easily prove they are (some of those people already take the pee as it is!). Someone turning up and just saying 'I'm skint' wouldn't work in the real world at all. Or they'd have to start asking to see wage slips and doing credit checks on everyone who came through the door!

I don't have a problem with vets fees, I had my bitch spayed yesterday and was pleasantly surprised that it only cost £120, very reasonable I think, includes two follow ups, access to 24 hour emergency line and they were excellent with her. Very happy!

Unfortunately (and fortunately of course!) in this country we're spoiled with the NHS and have no clue about the real cost of healthcare.

But how would the PDSA ever assess everyone who turned up? People would take the pee if it wasn't limited to those on benefits who can easily prove they are (some of those people already take the pee as it is!). Someone turning up and just saying 'I'm skint' wouldn't work in the real world at all. Or they'd have to start asking to see wage slips and doing credit checks on everyone who came through the door!

I don't have a problem with vets fees, I had my bitch spayed yesterday and was pleasantly surprised that it only cost £120, very reasonable I think, includes two follow ups, access to 24 hour emergency line and they were excellent with her. Very happy!

Unfortunately (and fortunately of course!) in this country we're spoiled with the NHS and have no clue about the real cost of healthcare.

All that for £120. yet look what im expected to pay from a 3 minute visit last night!

The point is people on benefits who buy pets whilst on benefits have no encouragement to work, they get EVERYTHING on a damn plate! Yet we are worse off working than we would both be on jsa and get f'all help!

All that for £120. yet look what im expected to pay from a 3 minute visit last night!

The point is people on benefits who buy pets whilst on benefits have no encouragement to work, they get EVERYTHING on a damn plate! Yet we are worse off working than we would both be on jsa and get f'all help!

It doesn't always follow that JSA pairs up with any additional help, the payment is dependant on other factors.

Perhaps change to a vet that has out of hours cover. Mine has not, but I hear there are some in Sheffield that do.

The PDSA do have extremely strict requirements, for example if you are a student you have to be:

a) a mature student

b) entitled to the full maintenance grant (which is income assessed)

c) be getting money from the access to learning fund

The ALF is for emergencies and unforeseeable situations only eg having to get to a parents funeral, available to all and not something just awarded because you are on a low income. I explained this when I first came to Sheffield but got nowhere. :loopy:

I think it's gone a little mad really.

We use Peak vets (recommended by the RSPCA to me), and find them to be amazing people and good value.

Before anybody gets upset at me, I have 2 rabbit, neutered and fully vaccinated, 2 cats, neutered, fully vaccinated, and insured and a puppy, fully vaccinated and insured (too young to neuter yet). I work extremely hard to pay my bills and study to improve our future, and have always found the money for my babies:love: and pay full price.

thats unfair.I'm out of work currently and go without to make sure the insurance is paid and that i have the excess to hand. I'm eligible to use the pdsa but dont.dont tar us all