Where To Take Motorbike Lessons

how does one go about taking it up, i am thinking about taking motorbike lessons but i have not got a clue how to go about it, are there any special schools that do it and if so which are the best ones, i was taking proper driving lessons in a car last year but was unable to carry on because of funds

i have heard that i can still use my provisional license to take motorbike lessons and that it is a lot easier to do the theory, as the car theory is just nonsense in places, can anyone help please, cheers

Edited by Speed Demon

KKK. Someone on here will give his contact details I'm sure, I don't have them anymore I'm afraid. Kyle is an excellent instructor.

ATB - http://www.atbtraining.co.uk/ have always been excellent for me. Done two CBTs (Compulsory Basic Training) with them which lets you ride up to a 125cc with L plates. Costs about £110 I think now and lasts two years. Full bike license can be anything from £600-£1200 depending on your skill level which is why I just keep renewing CBT (on my 3rd now) and a 125cc bike gets me around town and can hit 70mph (downhill, wind behind you) on A-roads. You can't use a 125cc on motorway tho. First time I sat on a motorbike I passed my CBT the same day, gets a little harder each year I think but motorbikes are dead easy to ride.

Hope that helps, but ATB will give you more info.

i would definatley go for the cbt and then a 125. you can do direct access which will give you unlimited bikes striaght after passing the test but i just wouldnt bother, more likely to go out and kill yourself really.

i did the same as GETHICAL i had a 125 and did 3 cbt's and then took the tests without any training. the theory test is quite similar to the car test. the majority of the questions are the same but there are some bike specific questions as well.

its not that easy to get through a bike test compared to a car. there are 2 practical tests as well as the theory and hazard perception.

get on to the roads by doing a cbt and get some experience, take it steady and learn how your bike handles and the limits you have on a bike.

atb training are very good had these on my third cbt and they were by far the best.

Buy a hot air balloon Jase. Cheap to run, and full of hot air!! Laughs.

You need a provisional licence to start

You must take a one day compulsory basic training and pass the (CBT) £100 ish

With the CBT certificate you can buy a 11bhp 125cc bike and insure it

or you can take lessons paid for by the hour towards your test using the trainers bike

When skilled you can pay for and take your test, this is in several parts and does change slightly

When you pass your 125cc test you have a restricted licence and you can buy and ride a 33bhp bike for two years and then the restriction is gone and you can buy any bike (33bhp is about 250-300cc but 600cc bikes can be restricted down to 33bhp)

Over 21 years old and you can take "Direct Access" on a 500cc bike, this is usually a more intense course over a couple of weeks but can be done over several days with a test at the end of it.. this is a fixed price of about £600 ish...Your instructor will encourage you to take your Mod1 written test quite early. With your Mod2 practical test if you fail then you can take lessons paid for by the hour towards your re-test using the trainers bike. When skilled you can pay for and take your Mod2 re-test. After passing you can ride any bike

The test is the same as the car test, it uses the Highway Code and the same examiners except there are many extra riding skills to reach that are bike specific, It can be viewed that it is harder than the car test because it is the car test...and then some! It is carried out at only specific test centres, ours is in Rotherham

Quad bikes and Trikes are not motorcycles and require a full car licence although certain small weight trikes can be ridden with a provisional licence and CBT certificate on L plates like a motorcycle and sidecar but no passingers or pillions can be carried

Edited by hugh jarse

Hugh above has answered the question quite comprehensively. Just to add Motorcycle and sidecar combinations, you can still ride a combo on L plates but have a Hp/kg weight to power limit on these and again you are unable to carry passengers in either the sidecar or on pillion. Combos are not allowed on the motorcycle test unless the candidate is registered disabled, you have to take your test on a solo machine.

Its of intrest that the weight to power ratio on a combo includes such machines as the Ural 750 Dalesman outfit that resembles the german WWII BMW. ( carting the labrador around in the sidecar doesnt count as carrying a passenger even if the furry critter is yer "baby" and wears a german helmet and flying goggles)

For training CBT's etc Try Steve at Fastrack behind the magna center on sheffield road

Edit further info on the motorcycle test:

Jan 2012 the 2 part test is to be revised into a single onroad test, the theory and CBT must be taken prior to this.

Jan 2013, the european 3rd drivers license directive comes into force, this will require a 17 year old motorcyclist to take individual tests for lightweight (125cc), middleweight (upto 600cc) and full size (over 600cc) machines with a 2 year gap between each test. The age of acceptance for direct access will be raised to 24 years old.

Edited by Toten
added infomation

I think that if your motive to learn to ride a motorbike is because the car theory test is nonsense then that's the wrong motive for doing it.

I'm sure you'll find there's nonsense involved in passing a motorcycle test as well. But the car test nonsense keeps you dry and a bit better protected.

Oh, didn't know about the 2012 changes (or 2013 but that doesn't effect me). Anyway, will the changes make the bike test any easier to pass? Or cheaper or have any benefit whatsoever to the rider?

I'm thinking of getting my full bike license soon but if the changes in Jan 2012 mean it'll benefit me waiting then I might just wait until the spring of 2012 to avoid all the bad weather between now and then. But on the other hand if it'll be harder or more expensive then I'll get it out of the way asap.

But the car test nonsense keeps you dry and a bit better protected.

2wheels>4wheels