Iphone 4s whats your thoughts?

It also makes you look a toss pot, asking your phone silly questions!

It could be useful for driving, but surely playing at being 'Mr Businessman' at 70 on the M1 is just a massive distraction? No one should be working and driving at the same time.

I'm not sure i agree. I watched a video review of the new siri system and some of the things it was doing were pretty helpful. At one point the guy asks something along the lines of, 'how many dollars would i get for XXX of ponds at today's exchange rate?'. He had the answer within a few seconds. I doubt i could have worked that out on a calculator anywhere near as fast.

Siri as such is not that great, but having the mic symbol on the "keyboard" is excellent. I've spent all day dictating emails and texts (and my shopping list) with very few mistakes.

It's definitely quicker than typing but I don't think I'll be doing it on the train (and certainly not when driving - apart from being illegal it's extremely dangerous).

As regards the original question I've upgraded from a 3GS and there's a noticeable but maybe not massive difference e.g. better display, better camera, big apps load faster, better shape (doesn't want to jump out your hand all the time!). So far the battery life has been pretty good as well - about 18 hours with normal usage.

My choice of iPhone over Android was purely due to the availability of certain apps which I use a lot, e.g. Memory Map, but overall I've been happy with the decision.

I'm not sure i agree. I watched a video review of the new siri system and some of the things it was doing were pretty helpful. At one point the guy asks something along the lines of, 'how many dollars would i get for XXX of ponds at today's exchange rate?'. He had the answer within a few seconds. I doubt i could have worked that out on a calculator anywhere near as fast.

But you wouldn't use a calculator - you'd use one of the hundreds of currency converter apps like this

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/currency/id284220417?mt=8

But you wouldn't use a calculator - you'd use one of the hundreds of currency converter apps like this

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/currency/id284220417?mt=8

I know the apps are out there. In fact, i believe the siri system uses the very same ones. My point was that the phone does all the opening and inputting for you. All you need to do is ask the question.

I think Chumley pretty much summed up how useful it can be in his/her earlier post.

I think Siri is clever, but I'm not convinced that its any quicker.

Tap currency app - look at screen - takes less than 2 seconds.

To activate Siri you have to hold the button for 2 seconds anyway - and that's before uttering the command and waiting for the reply.

As a way of saving time it looks like a long way round to me. And it does make you look like a tool - you can't deny that!

Chumley's post was about Voice Dictation - not the same as the Siri assistant (and available in pretty much every Android phone as well - but hey what would I know - according to some I'm an Apple Fanboy for daring to point out that Android often doesn't get software updates on time )

Edited by ElasticMan

Im still very happy with my iphone 4s. Had it since launch and no problems. Battery seems fine. Siri i like. No complaints. I didnt have the iphone 4 though so im comparig from my 3gs upgrade.

I think Chumley pretty much summed up how useful it can be in his/her earlier post.

Thanks. His :)

Tap currency app - look at screen - takes less than 2 seconds.

True, but only if you've already got the app. Searching the app store, checking reviews to find a good one, downloading a couple and finding they're no good etc etc takes rather longer.

For anything you're going to do more than once or twice I would agree go for an app.

I do like the voice dictation though, which seems to be part of Siri, in the sense that it only works if Siri is on.

True, but only if you've already got the app. Searching the app store, checking reviews to find a good one, downloading a couple and finding they're no good etc etc takes rather longer.

For anything you're going to do more than once or twice I would agree go for an app.

I do like the voice dictation though, which seems to be part of Siri, in the sense that it only works if Siri is on.

OK... but that's a pretty unlikely situation. It feels like you have to erect a a number of imaginary barriers in order to do something with Siri that you couldn't do faster another way.

I'm not saying its totally useless, just that its a gimmick. It 'feels' cleverer than it really is.

How about this - Open Safari - search 'Dollar Pound' - google will return the exchange rate for you.