Please give us your winter advice

Mind you, how much would it cost me in Horlicks?

I assumed you had a free supply of the stuff because you're always talking a load of old Horlicks. :hihi:

Our washing machine is in our outhouse, and we had a burst pipe last year. We also had a frozen water supply to the washing machine, which caused damage.

This year, we will turn off the water supply to the outside pipes at the first indication of frost! We have cavity wall and loft insulation, double glazing and central heating, and we plan to mainly stay in and keep warm. We pay the same all year for our heating costs, so we don't get huge bills in the winter.

wrap up well plenty of layers of clothing

I have had a small ornimental oil lamp in my pot cupboard for about 40 years, i have often thought of binning it but the last winter it came into use, i bought a gallon of parafin from garage (£5) then put the lamp under the pipes in the downstairs (almost outside) loo it kept the frost away. btw no children in the house and it was stood on a tile floor.

Just to remind you all, please dont go blocking up air grilles and vents, especially if you have a gas fire or an old type boiler, this could lead to incorrect air flow and could lead to carbon monoxide spilling from the gas appliances.

If you're a driver then fit some winter tyres soon. I tried them for the first time last year and I never got stuck once!

the best advice i can offer is never eat yellow snow

As others have said, take precautions but just in case, make sure you have the phone number of a qualified plumber (who has access to a 4x4!!) ;-)

My tip:

Go to work.

If you are a young or middle aged person without mobility difficulties, you CAN do it. Unless you live a long way (that's not "2 whole MILES!!!") away, you DON'T need your car. Your legs WILL work in snow.

Actually, no, ignore me - don't go. Stay at home and force your workplace to close.

I had a lovely few snow days last winter, despite the fact that I cycled in the first day to be met with closed gates, so I went home changed into walking gear and did half of the Sheffield Round Walk (I did consider doing the full lot, but settled for 7 miles). So how come I can walk all that way in the snow whilst other similarly able-bodied people can't get anywhere?

Hoping for the same again, some decent days walking in crisp snow, some nice photos, and then a few pints at tea-time in a pub with the fire on to warm my toes.

Buy a 4x4...

Got one thankfully.

Regards

Angel.

If you can not afford to have heating on 24/7 then buy loads of hot water bottles and electric throwovers.