Please give us your winter advice

Buy a 4x4...

I have but the dog isn't so keen on being tethered to the door handle when I walk him

Thanks for the reminder. Had an outside tap installed this summer. I intend to drain it for winter - I ensured the plumber put an indoor valve in an accessible spot.

What did you do last winter to protect your home from the frost?!

I moved to a tropical country where the temp never drops below 26 degrees centigrade.

I have yet to get a burst pipe.

Perhaps you should all follow my example.

The water pipe to the washer, which is kept in the out house, froze last winter. I will be making efforts to see that doesn't happen this year. Might have to lag the pipes.

The water pipe to the washer, which is kept in the out house, froze last winter. I will be making efforts to see that doesn't happen this year. Might have to lag the pipes.

My washer is in a centrally-heated kitchen but because it backs on to an outside wall and the air-vent, the outlet pipe froze, so after a couple of weeks with it stood in the middle of the kitchen so I could use it, eventually I wrapped the pipe in a towel and it was ok. The towel's still there so hopefully it'll be ok this year.

My washer is in a centrally-heated kitchen but because it backs on to an outside wall and the air-vent, the outlet pipe froze, so after a couple of weeks with it stood in the middle of the kitchen so I could use it, eventually I wrapped the pipe in a towel and it was ok. The towel's still there so hopefully it'll be ok this year.

Mega. I shall be putting my old towels to good use then. I do not want to be hand washing again this winter.

......not really on the burst pipe topic but.........I ahve just got for some winter boots with the natty gadget in the heel that helps you stay on your feet on the ice, bought a duvet coat/cosy hat!!! Don't want to caught out this winter. Will get the washer pipes lagged this weekend too!!

My tip would be to move further from work. I live within a couple of miles so was expected to walk in! :( Dagnamit.

we had a frozen pipe in the bathroom where it is against the outside wall, luckily we avoided a pipe burst by blowing a hair dryer along the tiles and it thawed. My advice would be to keep your heating on, even if it's only on low, to prevent the system dropping below freezing. Some boilers have a feature that they will switch on automatically if the temperature drops below a certain point. I only realised we had that when it was too late, but I'll definitely make sure I don't turn the heating off completely this winter.

I kept the heating on, nothing froze but had a big bill but think it was worth it to be warm. I also made a snow box, tins etc. cereal, salt. pet food. and bread and milk in the freezer, will be doing the same this year, in the car I kept a spade and carboard and grit, I didnt need to use it, but help 2 people so it was worth it.

I thought I might become Director of Yorkshire Water this year, then I wouldn't have to worry about the cost of keeping my heating on to protect my pipes.

Mind you, how much would it cost me in Horlicks?

keep your heating on a constant setting thru the day rather than having it on full for a few hours, likewise gas fires have them on a constant low to mid setting if possible, if like me you drink more hot drinks in winter only fill the kettle up for the amount of hot water you need, turn all lights off and switch all electric sockets off when not in use, draught excluders are a must, wrap exposed/outside pipes, and again if like me you have a cellar in your property block any exits/coal shoots to outside off - i've used loft insulation/rockwool to do this