Part time single dad tax benefits etc

this is not a rant but the situation is coming to me soon , what ive tried to find out goggling etc is is there any tax benefits etc i can claim or get help with.

I do work full time and will have my son three nites a week so not quite 50/50 more 60 /40 and will be paying child maintenance .

any help or guidance would be gratefully received.

Get in touch with the DSS they will have all the relevant correct information for you.

If the mum is the main carer and gets the child benifit i dont think there is anything u can claim

by my understanding u wont getanything cos he is with another person for 4 days aweek the person with the most custody gets the help/benefits ect but it cud have changed since i looked in 2006 , gud luck x

I could be wrong but u can only claim once for each child. Tax credits are not really interested who claims. But only one claim is allowed. They normally leave it up to the patents/guardians to decide. So the above poster is correct basically. One claim only.

From tax credit website. Hope it helps a little.

If your child lives with more than one person

Only one household can get Child Tax Credit for a child.

You might look after a child who sometimes lives with you and sometimes lives with someone else. You can't both get Child Tax Credit for the same child, so you'll have to decide who should get it.

You can't claim Child Tax Credit if your child doesn't live with you at all - even if you're paying maintenance.

If you can't agree who'll claim

If you can't agree who'll get the Child Tax Credit, both of you should claim for the child. Then the Tax Credit Office will decide for you. They'll contact both of you so that they can work out who has main responsibility for the child. They will consider things that include the number of days the child lives with you, and where they keep most of their clothes and toys.

If you're already getting Child Tax Credit for your child

Someone else might make a claim for a child you're getting Child Tax Credit for. If this happens, the Tax Credit Office may ask you to tell them why you think you have main responsibility for that child.

If you can't agree who should get the Child Tax Credit, the Tax Credit Office will decide for you. You'll still keep getting paid while they make their decision.

cheers for the help.just what i thought

you needto have the child 4 nights a week to claim full c b

if your sharing your child,why are you paying maintenance?your ex partner gets child tax and child benefit to feed and clothe the child.you should keep your maintenance for your share

I dont think you can claim anything. I know i dont. I have mine 2 nights a week.

I dont want anything either tho, im more than happy to pay my maintenance. If it makes my kids lives that tiny bit better than thats all im interested in.

this is not a rant but the situation is coming to me soon , what ive tried to find out goggling etc is is there any tax benefits etc i can claim or get help with.

I do work full time and will have my son three nites a week so not quite 50/50 more 60 /40 and will be paying child maintenance .

any help or guidance would be gratefully received.

Unless you get child benefit your classed as the absent parent. So all you will get is a letter from the csa or whatever it's called now. They will want X amount, less 1/7th for each night the child sleeps in your home.