Talk talk wireless probs..any answers?

Hi Web1,

You advise that the "charger" needs to remain connected. As the router needs a constant power supply can you confirm that you are referring to the charger on a laptop?

If so this could be a power saving setting that the laptop will not use wireless while on battery power. Alternatively updating all wireless drivers may be of benefit but shy of this I would advise you contact the manufacturer of the laptop to query this further.

Regards

Mark

am with talk talk and they have just sorted a speed problem for me

quite good actually,but i fancy a better router do i just buy one and plug it in,or is there a procedure to go through

I would go with Netgear Router/Firewall. Can't recommend a current model. My DG834GT has always given me good service (2nd one - first one died after a year but got a replacement at no cost as the more expensive routers come with (or did) 2 years warranty. Was never keen to use usb modem that TT supplied originally. Make sure you buy a wireless router that comes with a dongle in the set. In terms of setting up you 'log on' to the router via a web browser (for netgear it is http://192.168.0.1 with the user name of 'admin' and password of 'password' (don't include the quotes). You should be provided with a list of settings from TT or visit the members forums which are always informational and one of the quickest ways to contact a member of staff (M-F) who can sometimes get things sorted quicker than on the phone. If you are on contract with TT you are entitled to a Free router to see if that resolves your issue. Whatever you do DON'T sign up to Homesafe (Phorm through the backdoor)! Other tips to speed up your connections are: don't use trailing extension cables, make sure ALL extension sockets have micro filters attached, disconnect the ringing wire (not needed for 'new' phones).

Edited by swarfendor43

If your laptop can't get a connection without the charger in, then obviously it's the damn laptop. Has NOTHING at all to do with the actual internet connection, and definitely not a router problem.

If you want to try a new router, get on the TT forums and request one. I had some internal networking probs with the huawei, now I have a d-link. Was easy to get em to send me a new one.

You will find though, that you will have the same problem as it is your laptop that is the issue here.

HI All,

For quick reference you can visit the TalkTalk Members Forum here:

www . talktalkmembers . com / forums

Regards

Mark

TalkTalk Online Community Executive

TalkTalk Online Community Department

TalkTalkplc

swarfender

thanks for info will stick with my original one for time being

tt sorted my speed issue out now it is up to 6.3 great