[RESOLVED] NOTICE: Regarding Avast blocking Sheffield Forum

Dude, the ads are never there for me because I use FF with extensions that allow this type of threat to be blocked @ source;).

Well the have been removed, and if you view that notice I have linked to above, it also states there that the ads from the affected provider have been stopped and removed...

Until this problem is tracked down and resolved.

It's very, very easy to resolve (and keep the ads). Run an ad server from a sub domain of SF and populate it with your own ads. As I said on the deleted thread over the weekend, not exactly rocket science.

And if you look, you can see that any Ads HAVE been removed temporarily... the banners @ the top are not currently there, and the ad box on the left has been removed also... Until this problem is tracked down and resolved...

Please see the following notice for information:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=866915

That's excellent news Ghoser. No I promise I'm not being sarcastic. But it's the first thing I've seen from anyone in 'authority' so to speak that's said anything constructive about the problem. All I've seen previously is threads prematurely closed with little or no information, or indeed as someone else said, threads removed!

So, thanks for the info. I'm sure it must be most annoying for the owner and the mods, as it is for all of us out here in cyberland.

Please keep us informed. We're all part of a community here.

That's excellent news Ghoser. No I promise I'm not being sarcastic. But it's the first thing I've seen from anyone in 'authority' so to speak that's said anything constructive about the problem. All I've seen previously is threads prematurely closed with little or no information, or indeed as someone else said, threads removed!

So, thanks for the info. I'm sure it must be most annoying for the owner and the mods, as it is for all of us out here in cyberland.

Please keep us informed. We're all part of a community here.

We do try, but users get angry, in turn it has a knock on effect... such as stated in the notice about the other thread being deleted (and the reason for such)

It's a very difficult thing to try and balance... :)

It's very, very easy to resolve (and keep the ads). Run an ad server from a sub domain of SF and populate it with your own ads. As I said on the deleted thread over the weekend, not exactly rocket science.

Oh I agree.... but it's not up to me, and I have no pull or say in the matter, it's up the Management, and ultimately, Geoff..

I know from some ad providers though you can't do it that way, as the way they operate is to track in realtime from the request URL (setting up a subdomain won't help as it will list as a redirect which some ad providers don't allow because they could be 'cheated')

All advertisements from the affected 3rd party have now been temporarily blocked and removed...

A Statement has been issued on the subject:

Please see the following thread!

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=866915

The threads regarding issue have been merged.. and a Sticky has been made...

First post edited with the above information..

Edited by Ghozer

I'm still being blocked by Avast.

Same here, Avast still blocking site as at 18:00

Check your blocked / disallowed site list in Avast, as it does keep track and will prevent access in the future... also clear your internet cache and cookies as the affected ads could still be in your cache (but won't show till you attempt to load the site)

Just for information: I got home tonight, and Avast is still 'totally' blocking SF. So I've removed Avast and gone to AVG, and hence my post now! So whatever has been tried up to now, hasn't worked. Seemingly, but as I've said before, I'm definitely not an expert in these matters!

18.40 and still having problems.

Awsome!!

:roll:

Just for information: I got home tonight, and Avast is still 'totally' blocking SF. So I've removed Avast and gone to AVG, and hence my post now! So whatever has been tried up to now, hasn't worked. Seemingly, but as I've said before, I'm definitely not an expert in these matters!

Same here, avast totally blocking sf