Tips to stop a barking dog!

that would be no good for a house dog they are supose to let you know when someone is there not wait untill you tell them too what kind of trainer are you:loopy:
I never said i was a trainer,but seeing as you know more about it you can tell the other person how to stop her dog barking so as she doesnt get a noise abaitment order served on her which if breached could land her in court & could even get her evicted .So to the other person please follow any advice given by wackijaki ,well that is when she gives some !,:loopy::suspect:

my dog barks alot i just tell the neibors hes there to let us know of any intruders he dosent bark all the time and if there was someone lurking round the backs he lets you know hes good for burglers as long as he doesnt keep people awake at night but you cant help it if he hears something in the night and barks hes just doing his job as long as he dosent bark continuly i personly cant see a problem

read it propely i said he dose not bark all the time only when there are intrureders

So you have intruders 'a lot' do you? I didn't suggest your dog or indeed any dog barked all the time, I simply said I find dogs barking extremely annoying, particularly when their owners don't take adequate steps to quiten them.

I never said i was a trainer,but seeing as you know more about it you can tell the other person how to stop her dog barking so as she doesnt get a noise abaitment order served on her which if breached could land her in court & could even get her evicted .So to the other person please follow any advice given by wackijaki ,well that is when she gives some !,:loopy::suspect:

there is no need to be rude nowonder people dont like going to pets at home for advice non of you know what you are talking about try asking the op if she wants the dog to guard the house or just be silent and let anyone in if the dog is not barking contiuers or all night long for no reason wich they will find out when the come to moniter wich they will have too to have a case then they have not got a prob just auntydog neibors

try a spray bottle (febreeze type) filled with water, everytime the dog barks, spray it at him, he'll soon learn hes in the wrong :)

there is no need to be rude nowonder people dont like going to pets at home for advice non of you know what you are talking about try asking the op if she wants the dog to guard the house or just be silent and let anyone in if the dog is not barking contiuers or all night long for no reason wich they will find out when the come to moniter wich they will have too to have a case then they have not got a prob just auntydog neibors

Firstly i am not being rude, the other person asked for advice on how to stop her dog barking !.Secondly i have no connection with Pets At Home Stores apart from they allow me to collect there for my rescue, i seem to remember you being rude to me though "what kind of trainer are you" well i will tell you I have 12 dogs mainly bull breeds living in house with me so yes i do feel i have quite a bit of knowledge &i have handled 100`s of dogs from pounds to rescues .Please look into the noise abatement order on line before you quote it, As for me i have actually gone through the procedure so i know things arnt like you say !!.

p.s i still await your advice to the other person ,as i was saying i wasn't being rude its not in my character .

Firstly i am not being rude, the other person asked for advice on how to stop her dog barking !.Secondly i have no connection with Pets At Home Stores apart from they allow me to collect there for my rescue, i seem to remember you being rude to me though "what kind of trainer are you" well i will tell you I have 12 dogs mainly bull breeds living in house with me so yes i do feel i have quite a bit of knowledge &i have handled 100`s of dogs from pounds to rescues .Please look into the noise abatement order on line before you quote it, As for me i have actually gone through the procedure so i know things arnt like you say !!.

p.s i still await your advice to the other person ,as i was saying i wasn't being rude its not in my character .

you were being sarcastic then and as for the dog barking invest in a shock training coller im not saying it will cure it but it did help with my rottie now he only barks when someone is there.thats my advice sattisfide?

Oh Elenab you've started something here haven't you :hihi:

The theory behind petsathomes advice is that if you teach your dog to 'talk' on command you can then teach them to be 'quiet' on command. This will give you some control and the ability to tell your dog to be quiet in a situation.

We also have a word like medusa does, ours is 'kennel'. Skye will do anything you want her to do when you say that and will magically do what it was you kept telling her to do before that she appeared to be unable to hear :suspect:

Ideally you need to find out what is causing your dog to bark. Bella barks at our neighbours sometimes because she can see over our 5.5' fence. :rolleyes: I used to reward negative behaviour by letting them in as soon as I came home as they used to stay out when I went out, and went crazy when they heard me pull up. I stopped letting them in until they were calm and quiet and it took no more than a week to resolve that issue.

If your dog is a nervous dog, you will be telling him that he is right to be afraid when you cuddle him and you are rewarding negative behaviour. You need to get a trainer to assess his body language for you and tell you how to respond to the situation. It's more difficult to read your own dog sometimes than it is to read others.

Please don't get a shock collar as previously suggested. You can get citronella ones that aren't harmful but they are simply a substitute for not taking the time to train your dog properly and won't rectify the situation.

Good luck with this :)

Oh Elenab you've started something here haven't you :hihi:

The theory behind petsathomes advice is that if you teach your dog to 'talk' on command you can then teach them to be 'quiet' on command. This will give you some control and the ability to tell your dog to be quiet in a situation.

We also have a word like medusa does, ours is 'kennel'. Skye will do anything you want her to do when you say that and will magically do what it was you kept telling her to do before that she appeared to be unable to hear :suspect:

Ideally you need to find out what is causing your dog to bark. Bella barks at our neighbours sometimes because she can see over our 5.5' fence. :rolleyes: I used to reward negative behaviour by letting them in as soon as I came home as they used to stay out when I went out, and went crazy when they heard me pull up. I stopped letting them in until they were calm and quiet and it took no more than a week to resolve that issue.

If your dog is a nervous dog, you will be telling him that he is right to be afraid when you cuddle him and you are rewarding negative behaviour. You need to get a trainer to assess his body language for you and tell you how to respond to the situation. It's more difficult to read your own dog sometimes than it is to read others.

Please don't get a shock collar as previously suggested. You can get citronella ones that aren't harmful but they are simply a substitute for not taking the time to train your dog properly and won't rectify the situation.

Good luck with this :)

Hopefully Elenab has sorted the problem by now, it was 14 months ago!

Edited by nikki-red

I used to bang a couple of metal trays together when my dog was young whenever he barked. He then associated louder noise than him with his barking and learned not to do it. If he gets excited in play and begins to bark, I just make him sit and stop the game and he stops. He won't now bark in the house, but was trained to check out any visitors to the door with barking.

I noticed that although must admit I am glad this thread has been re-opened as there is some interesting advice. I'm not sure the upstairs one would work for my pack though as I've only just managed to stop them taking themselves off upstairs to bed for a couple of hours haha

Oops I didn't look at the dates, sorry guys. Not sure how I stumbled upon this thread :confused: I'm sure it was on the first page. I'm glad you found it helpful at least nexusdee :)

dont you want your dog to bark when someone comes in the gate?i know i would. Hes letting you know someone is on your property,also you say he barks at them if they come in until he has a good sniff,hes only checking they are not a threat ,hes just guarding his turf .The only thing you need to correct is to have him stop when you tell him,hes just doing his job