Tips to stop a barking dog!

Looking for a few tips with our dog.

Basically whenever someone comes to the house, he hears the gate go and starts barking like mad, he runs round like crazy and we cannot calm him down.

When I come in i give him a cuddle (may be the prob!?) he quietens down eventually. When its someone else he barks and barks until they leave or he can give them a good sniff.

We've tried to come into the house and completely blank him until he is quiet and then say hello etc, but he just seems to have associated the gate going with going crazy!? any tips top breaking this? Its a little bit embarrassing and im sure its scary for some people.

Edited by elenab

Have you tried distracting him with a toy, treat or sudden noise. Or work with someone else, keep the dog on a lead while a friend opens the gate. Reprimand when he barks and introduce a treat when he's quiet. I'm sure there'll be a list of stuff from other posters so you'll get a fair few options.

one of my king charles does this, will be interested in answers, we have tried ignoring, distracting, etc etc.

Barking at strangers is usually borne from fear (not always, but usually) that someone is on the property who shouldn't be.

Please don't reprimand, the trick is to teach your dog that people opening the gate is GREAT and people coming onto the property is a good thing - I will post more later as I'm just too busy at the moment, but the book The Cautious Canine is very good for any fear based aggression and gives full details on changing the dog's emotions in these situations. It's not a long book either, so not a massive heavy read.

I find reprimanding has worked very well, I guess different breeds respond differently.

I want him to be a good guard but not barking everytime someone walks past.

Sorry what I mean is with the lead not verbally although it can be backed up with a NO. It isn't a case of one method fits all so it might be necessary to adopt a different aproach. Currently i'm on method 4 with one of ours but the library is extensive now so every cloud.......

We have had complaints about our dog barking. He doesnt bark excessively, only when the binmen come, windowcleaners, post etc. But one of my dear and pleasant neighbours has complained to the council about him. He is a small terrier and his bark isnt as loud as the boxer next door and the labrador next door but one. I am doing training with him at the moment, we have had him neutered which has calmed him down a bit. He isnt outside all the time, just let into our fenced rear garden to relieve himself, or he goes for walks with me on the lead. It is alleged that he "barks continually". He was even barking when he wasnt at home, according to the complainant.

When we got the first letter from the Council I bought a citronella spray collar which was recommended to my husband by another terrier owner. This was against my principles but we were upset and wanted to do something. It stopped him barking for a while but then he grew used to it. I have tried the approach recommended in the books of teaching him to "talk" then to be "quiet", but to get him barking worries me as I dont want any more complaints. What I keep doing is, keeping some treats nearby, and when he starts barking for whatever reason, I take a treat, give the command "down", then "quiet", make him wait quiet for a minute then treat him. To be honest, it isnt a huge success, but I am at a loss what to do. I have tried a DAP diffuser but this doesnt have any effect on barking.

I am feeling a bit singled out also, as there are other dog owners close by whose dogs are larger, bark louder who havent had a letter. If this person takes it any further, I am honestly considering pursuing a harassment complaint.

If anyone has any advice to offer, please do.

We have had complaints about our dog barking. He doesnt bark excessively, only when the binmen come, windowcleaners, post etc. But one of my dear and pleasant neighbours has complained to the council about him. He is a small terrier and his bark isnt as loud as the boxer next door and the labrador next door but one. I am doing training with him at the moment, we have had him neutered which has calmed him down a bit. He isnt outside all the time, just let into our fenced rear garden to relieve himself, or he goes for walks with me on the lead. It is alleged that he "barks continually". He was even barking when he wasnt at home, according to the complainant.

When we got the first letter from the Council I bought a citronella spray collar which was recommended to my husband by another terrier owner. This was against my principles but we were upset and wanted to do something. It stopped him barking for a while but then he grew used to it. I have tried the approach recommended in the books of teaching him to "talk" then to be "quiet", but to get him barking worries me as I dont want any more complaints. What I keep doing is, keeping some treats nearby, and when he starts barking for whatever reason, I take a treat, give the command "down", then "quiet", make him wait quiet for a minute then treat him. To be honest, it isnt a huge success, but I am at a loss what to do. I have tried a DAP diffuser but this doesnt have any effect on barking.

I am feeling a bit singled out also, as there are other dog owners close by whose dogs are larger, bark louder who havent had a letter. If this person takes it any further, I am honestly considering pursuing a harassment complaint.

If anyone has any advice to offer, please do.

I think your dog will view the treat as a reward for barking which is not what you want to do. He needs to be prevented from starting. You said its not excessive barking, how long does it go on for?

A couple of minutes? I dont time him. If I pick him up he stops and I sometimes do this just to keep the peace, it upsets me to have these people complaining all the time.

A couple of minutes? I dont time him. If I pick him up he stops and I sometimes do this just to keep the peace, it upsets me to have these people complaining all the time.

If he's doing it when you're there as well is it possible to put him in another room for a minute or so and let him out when he's quiet, but walk him in on a lead rather than picking him up.

Get Lottie in for a 1 to 1 session. The problems are obvious once someone who knows explains things to you. The dogs are displaying what they know and its up to us humans to pick up on that, but we need help to understand (cos most of us just don't get it).

I think yours is doing what comes naturally - if you don't want that - then you need help

Talk to Lottie