Homeless People in Sheffield Town Centre

I have been seeing a homelss man in the town centre. I'm sure you all must have seen him as well, he has got a big ripped bag with him and mostly sitting near the Crucible.

I just wonder what are those so called "council professionals" doing? They get enough money for their jobs. Shouldn't they have an outreach team to reach such people and provide them help and support.

I'm sure if my job was to tackle homelssness and I was getting paid for it, I would be actively reaching such people and sorting it out. How can these people go into their warm and well decorated homes and leave these people on the streets??? Its upsetting and you can't ignore it.

Totally agree with you, but what can be done about it?

The guy has no money and so can't pay any rent, hence he is homeless.

Sadly some people slip through the net in society

He can purchase a flat at parkhill for £90k. :o

It was previously council housing, but due to there being no demand for housing in Sheffield (just look at our tiny waiting list), the council decided it to privatise it, and have it developed into affordable owner occupied housing. :roll:

These flats will remain unsold, as nobody can afford to buy them. Surly he could have one of them!

He can purchase a flat at parkhill for £90k. :o

It was previously council housing, but due to there being no demand for housing in Sheffield (just look at our tiny waiting list), the council decided it to privatise it, and have it developed into affordable owner occupied housing. :roll:

These flats will remain unsold, as nobody can afford to buy them. Surly he could have one of them!

Once again, nothing to do with the OP. You are getting desperate now fella :|

RE: The OP....

Has it ever occurred to you that some of these homeless people are there through their own choice?. I remember reading a story some years ago about a man (i think he worked very high up in banking), who decided the pressures of life were too much, and, one day he just walked out on his job, family and life to become a homeless person.

As ridiculous as it sounds. Some of these people prefer to live this life. In such cases an outreach team would be of little use at all.

Before I became a housing worker, I thought empty flat & homeless person = result. Its not quite as simple as that.

Most people who meet the statutorily homeless/in priority need categories are offered housing, and very few are rough sleepers.

The people who do live on the streets may not want the responsibility of having their own place, having to sort out rent, utilities etc. They may have had help from various sources many times over. Some may stay in hostels short term, others will prefer not to. Many have alcohol or substance abuse issues, and sadly some also have mental health problems.

Ben's centre:http://benscentre.wordpress.com/a-typical-day/ and the Archer project at the Cathedral http://www.sheffieldcathedral.org/how-you-can-help/archer-project-help-for-the-homeless-and-vulnerable.php are just two charitable organisations that help people on the streets in Sheffield.

The council homeless service explained here:

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/housing-services/homelessandhousingoptions/looking-for-a-home-or-needing-to-move/homeless-accommodation

Have seen that one near crucible for years. Allways look deep into his eyes and he knows I do that every time.

Rather sure he dont want no help and is very happy there the way things are. Emotional psychological and physical different he does not want to be an active member in this society no more.

the majority of homeless people are there by choice

I just wonder what are those so called "council professionals" doing? They get enough money for their jobs. Shouldn't they have an outreach team to reach such people and provide them help and support.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/community/beggars_plague_fed_up_shoppers_1_3806917

looks like the local Police team are all over it.

We were fortunate enought to holiday in California this year, San Francisco was a fantastic city, but the amount of homeless people shocked us all. I think if we didn't have such great provision for NHS/mental health/benifits/housing etc then many more people would be living on the streets in the UK. We should be thankfull for what we have in this country.

We were fortunate enought to holiday in California this year, San Francisco was a fantastic city, but the amount of homeless people shocked us all. I think if we didn't have such great provision for NHS/mental health/benifits/housing etc then many more people would be living on the streets in the UK. We should be thankfull for what we have in this country.

I spent some time in Dundee last year and there were far more people sleeping in doorways than you see down here

Once again, nothing to do with the OP. You are getting desperate now fella :|

If you believe privatisation of council housing will not adversely affect the homeless and create more homelessness then more fool you.

If you believe privatisation of council housing will not adversely affect the homeless and create more homelessness then more fool you.

Is unlikely that it would make much difference to the person the OP refers to. The explanation why is in my earlier post.

One reason for the lack of available council houses for people who are on 'the waiting list', which you often mention, is that other people who have priority normally take precedence. People who are found to be eligible, homeless and who are considered vulnerable (for all sorts of reasons) get priority over those who just want a council property.

Huge council estates haven't been particularly successful, and no government is going to advocate building them in huge numbers again, but it doesn't mean the existing ones are going to be privatised. In fact our current council have ruled out any move towards privatisation of the forty thousand plus council properties in Sheffield. No government will stop the Right to Buy, but as many of the most desirable properties have already been sold, RTB numbers are much reduced.

In terms of homeless applications and how well Sheffield responds to them, there is a table here that show the number of overturned reviews about negative decisions. It is interesting to compare Sheffield with some others, notably Leeds who have had a similar number of applications, positive decisions and reviews. Sheffield only had 13% of decisions overturned at review, Leeds 48%. This suggests that Sheffield homeless workers are getting it right. http://www.insidehousing.co.uk//6517948.article