Unemployment, is it really a problem or is it a lifestyle?

Recently me and my partner left university and we had a choice to return home or to set out on our own.

Studying full-time we had very little time to work so we both worked just evenings and weekends, whilest we studied to cover our bills. In July we both finished our studies within weeks of each other and needed to get work quick. We had both been so worried about finding work as their is such a hype in the media about Unemployment figures on the rise.

I started my job search by writing up a very bare cv as with very little work history there wasn't much to write, I then thought that this next part was going to take a while.

I searched online job sites and found a list of about ten jobs which I could undertake, both skilled and unskilled and just emailed them my CV.

The very same day I had to calls back to arrange interviews for the next day and on in three days, I also received another two calls asking me to attend interviews later in the week. So from my first ever attempt at trying to get a full time job I had a interview success rate of 4/10.

I dressed smart and went to my first interview the very next day just 26hours after I emailed my CV out, I was offered a job for a 48hour shift pattern there and then, I waited and had to two days to give them an answer so I attended another interview a day later and was offered a 3month trial at 35hours.

After some consideration I cancelled my future interviews an accepted my first offer and progressed to start that Monday.

Now 3 months later I am just leaving my initial part time job and just continuing with my new job, on it's own instead of working 7 days a week. My partner also undertook her job search and is also now employed 35hours a week.

We are nothing special so it came to such a surprise to me that we could both attain employment so easily and was wandering what others views are on the topic, are some people unable to attain work genuinely, out of laziness or just don't want work?. The media seems to play on it so much but it really seems not such a big deal?

Recently me and my partner left university and we had a choice to return home or to set out on our own.

Studying full-time we had very little time to work so we both worked just evenings and weekends, whilest we studied to cover our bills. In July we both finished our studies within weeks of each other and needed to get work quick. We had both been so worried about finding work as their is such a hype in the media about Unemployment figures on the rise.

I started my job search by writing up a very bare cv as with very little work history there wasn't much to write, I then thought that this next part was going to take a while.

I searched online job sites and found a list of about ten jobs which I could undertake, both skilled and unskilled and just emailed them my CV.

The very same day I had to calls back to arrange interviews for the next day and on in three days, I also received another two calls asking me to attend interviews later in the week. So from my first ever attempt at trying to get a full time job I had a interview success rate of 4/10.

I dressed smart and went to my first interview the very next day just 26hours after I emailed my CV out, I was offered a job for a 48hour shift pattern there and then, I waited and had to two days to give them an answer so I attended another interview a day later and was offered a 3month trial at 35hours.

After some consideration I cancelled my future interviews an accepted my first offer and progressed to start that Monday.

Now 3 months later I am just leaving my initial part time job and just continuing with my new job, on it's own instead of working 7 days a week. My partner also undertook her job search and is also now employed 35hours a week.

We are nothing special so it came to such a surprise to me that we could both attain employment so easily and was wandering what others views are on the topic, are some people unable to attain work genuinely, out of laziness or just don't want work?. The media seems to play on it so much but it really seems not such a big deal?

im a full time worker, but lately began feeling a bit bored in my current job, so decided to apply for about 10 jobs, i have a checkable 15 year work history and mounds of experience for the jobs i were applying for, didnt get one interview. so im almost the mirror image of your reply.

maybe your just fantastic c.v writers ????

I'm very curious to know what job you got because that could have a big impact on how quickly you secured employment.

was it a job related to your degree ... did you need to get a degree to do it?

That's the frustration for some.

I'm very curious to know what job you got because that could have a big impact on how quickly you secured employment.

Me too,

have you taken a lower grade job than you would ultimately like to persue with your career?

My recent dealings with the job market, 2 years ago, were that I could find very few jobs. I sent off for about 30 applications and I got only one interview for my current job, where I was successful. I joined a few agencies and never heard anything at all.

I have skills and qualifications and 20 years employment history. There were several types of job that I could have gone into and I applied for anything that was relevent. I was extremely surprised how little was available.

What were you studying at uni? Something which doesn't require basic maths and logic I'd guess.

If there are 100 jobseekers but only 75 jobs, will everyone get a job if they just try a bit harder?

If you are paid after deductions less than a person receiving benefits, then you will soon get fed up of working for nothing. But l do wish you the best of luck.

If you are paid after deductions less than a person receiving benefits, then you will soon get fed up of working for nothing. But l do wish you the best of luck.

Don't knock working for nowt, I've done it for years :D

I don't see how anyone without children could be in a position to get less from working than from being unemployed. :confused:

It would be good if the OP lets us know what kind of job he got, and what else was available.

I don't see how anyone without children could be in a position to get less from working than from being unemployed. :confused:

It would be good if the OP lets us know what kind of job he got, and what else was available.

Voice,

Ant Marketing,

PlusNet

CPP etc is what I would expect.

Good luck to him, though.

It's certainly true that finding a job isn't as difficult as it's made out to be. Finding a job you really like may be difficult but finding something just to tide you over till something better comes along shoudn't be beyond the initiaive of the average unemployed person.

Something doesn't add up with the OP though, he says he finished his studies and started looking for work in July, If this is true why did he start this thread back in May?

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=782924