A photographer is only as good as the equipment he uses.

Nikon admitted that it was a mistake. they didn't mean it to come across as it did. :)

Nikon admitted that it was a mistake. they didn't mean it to come across as it did. :)

I wonder how they thought it would come across? It only means one thing, doesn't it.

I like to take the law of averages approach to photography. Take enough pictures, and some of them will be ok. Digital is great for this - since I've stopped having to pay for film and developing I've taken way, way more pictures. I've always loved photography, but at one point I'd go months without even picking up a camera. Now I never go anywhere without some sort of 'camera' (phone) an in the day I normally have my dSLR with me, even if it's rattling around in the bottom of my bag.

Few pictures are great because of the equipment. Generally it's the light and the composition that makes them great. That notwithstanding, better equipment makes getting pictures in some circumstances easier. The replacement for my camera (Pentax K-7 replaced by the newer K-5) has much. much better high ISO performance and a a wider dynamic range, so my shots in the woods yesterday would have been better if I'd done a straight swap body for body. They would have been better with a K-7 on a tripod than a K-5 handheld though.

It's not what you've got, it's what you do with it. But sometimes having the right equipment helps.

I wonder how they thought it would come across? It only means one thing, doesn't it.

Exactly. ;)

I like to take the law of averages approach to photography. Take enough pictures, and some of them will be ok. Digital is great for this - since I've stopped having to pay for film and developing I've taken way, way more pictures. I've always loved photography, but at one point I'd go months without even picking up a camera. Now I never go anywhere without some sort of 'camera' (phone) an in the day I normally have my dSLR with me, even if it's rattling around in the bottom of my bag.

Few pictures are great because of the equipment. Generally it's the light and the composition that makes them great. That notwithstanding, better equipment makes getting pictures in some circumstances easier. The replacement for my camera (Pentax K-7 replaced by the newer K-5) has much. much better high ISO performance and a a wider dynamic range, so my shots in the woods yesterday would have been better if I'd done a straight swap body for body. They would have been better with a K-7 on a tripod than a K-5 handheld though.

It's not what you've got, it's what you do with it. But sometimes having the right equipment helps.

I think the marriage of photographer and camera is the key element. It's up to the the photographer to see the scene and work out the best way to manipulate the camera to record it. It's up to the performance of the camera to work as best it can to do what the photographer asks of it. For example, you mention the better dynamic range. The camera will then perform better in complex light but a good photographer will be able to control how light and shadow are recorded.

I'm not saying I can do that, just that it's how it should be...;)

Edited by fairground
It sounded like photographers are gods.

I think its untrue, there are a lot of photographers who think they can buy their way into being a good photographer. But no matter how expensive your lens was, you can't buy creativity.

I think its untrue, there are a lot of photographers who think they can buy their way into being a good photographer. But no matter how expensive your lens was, you can't buy creativity.

Spot on. I look through photography mags [cheekily for free in ASDA] for ideas and tips. I run on a shoestring budget but my results keep ME entertained.

I remember something on TV a long time ago with Patrick Litchfield using a photo booth to make a stunning portrait. All he did was to change the existing lighting by either using reflectors, or blanking some of the lights out.

I remember something on TV a long time ago with Patrick Litchfield using a photo booth to make a stunning portrait. All he did was to change the existing lighting by either using reflectors, or blanking some of the lights out.

I think that guy knew a thing or two about photography, I reckon he'd been on a course.............:hihi:

I read a quote the other day that said 'the best camera is the one you have with you' - a top end DSLR is no use if you leave it home all the time!

A Camera only as good as the lense on it and the lens is only as good as the person behind it...

Absolutely!!!