Lump on jaw line any ideas anyone?

Anyone any ideas what it could be its hard and it moves and it hurts a bit?

Something like that it would be best to go and visit your GP. It could be an abscess or something. Hope it gets better soon.

Yeh i was wondering weather the gym or the dentists i have a massive ulcer on my gum in similar ish area which i have had a few days and its very sore but i only noticed the lump yesterday. I also had a filling re done in that area so dont know if its something to do with that or not

Yes, I think this one needs a visit to your GP or to your dentist if you think it may be an abscess (your dentist can write prescriptions for antibiotics which are to treat dental conditions like abscesses).

It could, however, be something like a blocked saliva gland, which is harmless, if potentially painful. This one can be tested by putting something sharp flavoured and which makes you salivate into your mouth- if you have a blocked saliva gland the lump increases noticeably when you produce more saliva and you can feel the pressure increase too. The treatment for this is often just a few doses of anti-inflammatory medication which reduce the inflammation in the duct enough for the particle that's causing the blockage to flow out of the duct and the pressure to be relieved. I had one gland which had a blockage several times during my teenage years, but have not had any problems in the 25+ years since.

Only a doctor or dentist who can do a full examination will be able to tell you what it is for sure- I hope it's something trivial that's easily sorted :)

The doctor told me he thinks its a lymphoid didnt think they went that high up but im at the dentists tomorrow so i'll check. He seemed to think its caused because its trying to fit the infection thats given me an ulcer i find it a bit hard to believe and that hes just trying to fob me off because he doesnt know :S

The doctor told me he thinks its a lymphoid didnt think they went that high up but im at the dentists tomorrow so i'll check. He seemed to think its caused because its trying to fit the infection thats given me an ulcer i find it a bit hard to believe and that hes just trying to fob me off because he doesnt know :S

No he could be right as that is why the lymph glands come up, he is a doctor after all, try not to worry :)

Edited by OOmpa

No he could be right as that is why the lymph glands come up to fight infection, he is a doctor after all, try not to worry :)

I hope not im having an op on the 10th oct it best have gone by then. Its really painful though :/. Its just in a really strange place for it to be one of those

Yes I've had them come up in my neck before and they can be painful, you may need to tell your consultant before having the op.

Yes I've had them come up in my neck before and they can be painful, you may need to tell your consultant before having the op.

Its not on my neck its on the bone on my jaw. Well i have pre op assessment next week so ill mention it then but hopefully be okay just want this op out the way its stressful enough

Its not on my neck its on the bone on my jaw. Well i have pre op assessment next week so ill mention it then but hopefully be okay just want this op out the way its stressful enough

Yes I understood that, good luck with it and hope the op goes well :)

Usually if a lump is sore, hard and moves it is a cyst, I have had one in my jaw and at present I have one on the back of me head. I have been told by my GP that I can have it removed if I want, but as it isn't painful at the moment and not causing my any problems I am leaving it alone.