Sign in to follow this  

New York - advice please

Oh man advanced congratulations.

Does she know??? Of course she doesn't.... stupid question eh.

Flights... you can probably get em cheap just before Xmas... however given this is a 'big' occassion I'd book now to avoid disappointment and to make sure your plans are set.

Now we need info from you.

Do you want to do it in a public place (i.e. restaurant)

Or a local attraction (i.e. top the Empire States Building)

Or Quietly between the two of you?

Well there is a fantastic little restaurant inside Central Park (best to advance book) that has a nice atmosphere and obviously the surroundings are great. I forget the name but if you google you'd surely find it. This could be your restaurant option.

Attraction... Well top of Empire, Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Battery Park (might not be as desireable), Carnegie Hall take your pick.

Quiet.. maybe while strolling through central park or get a horse drawn carriage to take you through the park and ask while on the ride. They usually line central park so you'll find one.

Speaking of Hotels (if you aint found one yet) The Plaza Hotel is right outside central park. I doubt it's cheap but would make the date that bit more special.

Those are my top tips... if it was me doing it again... I'd do the horse and carriage thing. Might be a good idea to get a womans opinion on this though... Que Starchild:thumbsup:

Good luck with everything dude!

Dabouncer has it spot on for romantic locations in the top of the Empire state building.

I have been twice to NYC this year (July and November), and November was fantastic at night with the crimbo decorations, I stayed with my friend in Tribeca on manhattan but a good hotel is the Pensylvania hotel, it's opposite Madison square garden where there's usually something good on there, I managed to see the NY knicks. It's the best holiday I have ever had, it wont dissapoint you!

(sorry for butting in starchild, anyway i'm sure you have something more constructive to put in than me)

The ESB is great, but very crowded most of the time. If you want somethign a little more romantic and personal Central Park is the ONLY place that you will find your own little secluded spot. Under a tree by The Pond, or for something a litttle more memorable how about trying something like asking her when your on your backside in the Ice Rink? :)

Attraction... Well top of Empire, Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Battery Park (might not be as desireable), Carnegie Hall take your pick.

Quiet.. maybe while strolling through central park or get a horse drawn carriage to take you through the park and ask while on the ride. They usually line central park so you'll find one.

Those are my top tips... if it was me doing it again... I'd do the horse and carriage thing. Might be a good idea to get a womans opinion on this though... Que Starchild:thumbsup:

[/b]

Well if it were me hands down I would pick the horse drawn carriage option. It's romantic, and no matter how exciting standing on top of the Empire State whilst popping the question might seem (being on top of the world etc) romantic it is not, unless your idea of romance is having tourists talk in 15 different languages while you say the magic words :P And the same goes for Times Square...way too busy. Last few times I checked they weren't letting people onto Liberty Island to see the Statue of Liberty (since 9/11) so you may want to check up on that one. Good luck:thumbsup:

Originally posted by starchild

Last few times I checked they weren't letting people onto Liberty Island to see the Statue of Liberty (since 9/11) so you may want to check up on that one. Good luck:thumbsup:

You can get on to Liberty island itself but you can't go inside the statue to look out, that was in november, I asked about the re-opening and it looks a long time off:(