Virgin Active or Pure Gym?

Pure Gym all the way!!!!! :) Never had an issue with them!

Deffo pure gym !! ive been a member since it opened and cant fault it. The staff there are really helpful. :)

Not about Virgin or Pure, but, anyone got any opinions about Klick Fitness?

They are sooo friendly aren't they! I love it there!

Not about Virgin or Pure, but, anyone got any opinions about Klick Fitness?

It looks okay but after being a member of PureGym I can't really expect anything open less than 24/7,

Also it's quite a lot smaller than PureGym.

Also PureGym has much better transport links.

I was a member of pure gym only 2 months,since it's a city center gym general public use the car park to park and shop.

Pure gym installed a parking company to clamp down on this activity,they give members i think 250 mins free parking.

If you think you are nearing the limit you go out come back in and type your car registration number in a panel and that reset the timer.

However if you over run whilst in the shower you get a shock because a letter comes demanding a 50 pound parking fine!!!.

i got caught out i was 5 mins over and 7 mins the second time a total of £100 pounds!!!.

Well who can pay that in theses times,i wrote to the parking company explaining,they don't care they just want their money.

I left pure gym,QUICK join klick it's cheaper 12.99 on an 18 month contract or up front can't remember or on a rolling month i think that;s 15.99 a month great classes and instructors brilliant.

You only need to take the ticket to the manager at Puregym, and they will validate that you're a member and were at the gym that day, and wipe the fine off.

One of the reasons I joined (first Esporta and then some years later) Virgin gym was that they have gyms in other towns and cities around the country.

I used to spend a lot of my time working away from home and so it was good after work to be able to drive a few miles to the nearest Virgin gym and have a work out - rather than just go back to the hotel to drink and eat alone.

That's still fairly important to me, although I don't stay away from home so much these-days.

The other main factors are how close the gym is to where I live - this is very important and no way would I drive into the city centre on a regular basis to do gym. Another factor is, "how nice is it in there?" Is it bright, clean, airy, modern, plenty of space, decent changing rooms, showers, toilets, easy parking? That's quite important as well.

And I guess another factor is, "what type of people go there?" and this is also important.

If the gym is full of roughnecks who can't complete a sentence without using the F word or the C word and they are allowed to do that - then it's not the place for me I'm afraid.

For all these reasons, it's a no-brainer for me that the more upmarket gyms like Virgin are going to suit me infinitely better than the cheapo ones.

I think every gym has a group of people who go to the gym who you won't like. The reason why I chose Pure Gym, is not just because it's a 'cheapo gym' as that is irrelevant to me and I don't need the extras such as a swimming pool (I need to get in shape first), but because I found a lot of posers go to other gyms...my friend quit Virgin Active for this reason! I'm not confident enough to be surrounded by these people yet! Every gym will have a group though! I have my head phones in most time, so I don't hear what people are saying! :)

I don't park at the gym, so I comment on that one, but can imagine it being quite annoying having to pay that fine, but then they are giving you free parking, so like anything, if you go over, you'll have to pay something but £50 is a bit steep! :)

Neither, i use fitness unlimited, it has everything!, Virgin Active are for snobs! and have never used pure gyym as they dont have Pool's

I've been a member since Pure Gym opened and my observations are:-Pure Gym is cheap.While most of the customers look decent.There are certainly more than a few who look as though they'd slip a knife in you or start a fight at the drop of a hat. But Pure Gym is cheap. There is no "policing" in the Free Weights Section so weights etc are lying all over the place (not just in the Free Weights Section either) resulting in anyone needing to use said equipment having to go searching for them. This is a problem for Management to solve but other than putting up useless notices they've ignored it.Pure Gym is cheap. Equipment(Machine) breakdowns seem fairly common, bits of equipment go missing i.e.the detachable bits. Replacements usually take about a month to arrive.The looped music's at a reasonable volume,BUT, when the "Personal Trainers" have their private classes their own music is bassy and VERY LOUD. It mingles with the looped music so all you hear is noise.Pure Gym is cheap. The staff look as though they couldn't care less,but, as I've had no contact with them that's only my impression. If I could afford it I'd certainly go elsewhere,but I can't, so I go to Pure Gym, which is cheap.

Puregym - i mostly like that it's 24hr as its convenient for me to go late on a night, oh and no mirrors everywhere which i hate in other gyms. you also get loads of free classes included if you wanted them