Christening info

Hello peeps

I'm 23 weeks pregnant but want our daughter christened on a particular day next year (due to family travelling to us) does anyone know how we go about this? Shall i just go to church on Sunday and speak to the vicar? Also does anyone know how much a christening ceremony costs?

Thanks in advance

Emma x

I would just speak to the vicar and explain the situation. If the vicar knows that your guests are coming from out of town then I would have thought he/she would be able to help.

Usually a Christening is free (well my two kids were anyway)! You might have to attend a couple of Bible classes if you don't usually go to church.

i was christened but i havnt christened my 2 kids, are you christening your children because you are religious or because of tradition? :)

i was christened but i havnt christened my 2 kids, are you christening your children because you are religious or because of tradition? :)

I think thats an interesting question.

My brother had his kids christened, I think, because it's what he thinks he's "supposed to do". Tradition if you will.

I'm an atheist, so my daughter won't be christened. I think it'd be hypocritical. Just my view, but I think it odd that people who don't normally go to church christen their children. Each to their own though.

I think thats an interesting question.

My brother had his kids christened, I think, because it's what he thinks he's "supposed to do". Tradition if you will.

I'm an atheist, so my daughter won't be christened. I think it'd be hypocritical. Just my view, but I think it odd that people who don't normally go to church christen their children. Each to their own though.

I am not. My hubby is not. But the kids are/will be.

Simply because the biblical law over rides the judicial law... and the christening worked out cheaper than our solicitor writing up a will (leaving rights to who for our children) very sad I know, but it's the only time we have been hypocritical and that was for our childrens welfare (ie if I died at 9am, he at 9.01am.. the parental rights would go to his next of kin [after me, his mum] and we do not want his mum bringing up a pet rat nevermind the kids. Switch times and it would be next of kin, my mum which we didn't want again) So that was our reasoning. To be fair, I don't care what people say about it because it's done now. And our baby bump will be too when the time comes, but just thought I would tell you our point of view on it :-)

Simply because the biblical law over rides the judicial law... and the christening worked out cheaper than our solicitor writing up a will (leaving rights to who for our children) very sad I know, but it's the only time we have been hypocritical and that was for our childrens welfare (ie if I died at 9am, he at 9.01am.. the parental rights would go to his next of kin [after me, his mum] and we do not want his mum bringing up a pet rat nevermind the kids. Switch times and it would be next of kin, my mum which we didn't want again) So that was our reasoning. To be fair, I don't care what people say about it because it's done now. And our baby bump will be too when the time comes, but just thought I would tell you our point of view on it :-)

decent point!

Most churches only do christenings on one sunday a month. Mine were christened last year and I went in a few months prior wanting to get mine christened during the summer months, but they were already full. Christenings are free, but you have to pay for the certificates and they like you to make a donation.

I don't mean to sound rude, but as a solicitor, I'd strongly urge you to check those facts before you rely on them so strongly. I respect anyone's wishes, but would really, really urge you to look into the legal aspects of that again.

Hopefully, it'll never come up though :)