Parking Charge Notice at Decathalon

I have received a PCN from Excel for staying slightly over the apparent permitted time. However I was in Decathalon for all of this time buying a bike etc and forgot about the time. Has anyone else had this problem here? Also doesanyone know who is the landowner for this car park? Is it Decathalon? Any help would be appreciated as I am furious about it

I used to work at Decathlon and unfortunately, this happens frequently. Excel own the car park, not Decathlon, so the store can't revoke the fine. Occasionally they can ask Excel to withdraw it, but at the end of the day, it's Excel's decision and they are a horrible company to deal with.

If I were you, I'd go into the store and ask to speak to the Operations Manager. He'll do what he can, but don't expect too much!

I used to work at Decathlon and unfortunately, this happens frequently. Excel own the car park, not Decathlon, so the store can't revoke the fine. Occasionally they can ask Excel to withdraw it, but at the end of the day, it's Excel's decision and they are a horrible company to deal with.

If I were you, I'd go into the store and ask to speak to the Operations Manager. He'll do what he can, but don't expect too much!

Its not a fine, its an invoice.

OP, do not pay. Throw it away, do not enter into any correspondence with them

I have little or no time for the usual car park whingers

However in this instance....

Isn't it the case that the charge can only be for reasonable losses incurred by breach of the "contract" that you enter into when parking?

If the time was spent making a significant purchase - which would not otherwise have been made if having to leave due to car parking times - then surely there is no loss that you can be invoiced for?

Yes, if the car park was filled with football fans turning customers away then yes, a charge for projected losses is quite reasonable - but this is not the case and it's a bit more than the usual "taking too long to eat a big mac" case

I have received a PCN from Excel for staying slightly over the apparent permitted time. However I was in Decathalon for all of this time buying a bike etc and forgot about the time. Has anyone else had this problem here? Also doesanyone know who is the landowner for this car park? Is it Decathalon? Any help would be appreciated as I am furious about it

Why are you furious? It's your own fault for staying over your permitted time. From what I can see Excel have done nothing wrong.

I have little or no time for the usual car park whingers

However in this instance....

Isn't it the case that the charge can only be for reasonable losses incurred by breach of the "contract" that you enter into when parking?

If memory serves the car park is free anyway, you just need to get a ticket from the machine. Therefore, no financial loss = no ground to stand upon.

Just throw the ticket away and forget about it.

jb

I'm yet to hear of a successful court case against someone who refuses to pay. The one example that gets bandied about involves someone who lied to try and get out of it (and was candid about this in a public internet forum). The lesson: on no account should you ever lie. Withhold and ignore as much as you like but don't lie.

P.S. One easy way out is if you weren't driving. The invoice should be addressed to the driver but they can only get details of the registered owner from the DVLA. You are under no obligation to say who was driving and they have no case against the owner. Just remember not to lie - if you were driving, don't claim that you weren't.

... if you were driving, don't claim that you weren't.

... and don't admit that you were as you're under no obligation to do so.

jb

Quite simply don't pay! Ignore their calls, ignore their letters, as threatening as they may seem,don't acknowledge at all!

You will get a demand, then a further more threatening demand, then leter from roxburghs debt collectors, then a further more demanding one, then from so called GHraham White solicitors' (what a joke!) threatening court action, maybe a few phone calls - they will tire eventually!!

Excel own the car park

I doubt that very much. They may 'lease' it, or at least have leased the rights to operating a parking outfit on it.

1. Ignore PCN

2. Take bike back to Decathlon and ask for your money back, tell them why, and tell them that you're never going to do any business with them again as long as Excel control the car park.

If enough people do this companies might see sense eventually.